Skip to content
I am such a heavy sleeper, don't really hear anything
beanie_gene posted:
I have been such heavy sleeper my whole life. I don't hear the phone ring, don't hear people knocking on my door. The only thing that will wake me is my alarm, or my dogs. Last year, our home was broke into while I was sleeping!!!!! I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, lights on or off, noise, silence, on couches etc..... My question is does this constitute as a sleep disorder? Started to worry more when our home was broke into and the intruder actually started to make it toward our upstairs, thank GOD for our dog who alerted us and went in protective stance. I do work midnights, but as stated before, always have been a heavy sleeper from elementary through college also.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear beanie_gene,

That's a great question, but I don't know the answer. How about asking your doctor for an expert reply?

It's good that your dog was alert and protective! My better half sleeps very soundly, too. I'm the one who gets awakened by every little noise.

Yours in health,

Byroney

Deepsleeper99 responded:
Hey, I have pretty much the exact same problem. I fall asleep very quickly, sometimes without remembering I fell asleep or during conversations with my friends. I'm very tired and I had to get an alarm clock for deaf people and people who are hard of hearing. I'm going trying to get a sleep study to see if I can find out what's wrong, it just seems like I might be somewhat narcalepsic or a hypersomniac, but I'm in no way a light sleeper and it's very difficult for people to wake me.

mymorpheous responded:
I am a 77 yr. old man, former night shift worker & since retiring 12 yrs. ago have had a lot of trouble sleeping at night. I take the usual plethora of B.P. anti- Chol. drugs, water pills etc.for someone my age & discovered 2 months ago that if I simply drank a large glass or two of water on retiring, I could get to sleep without a myriad of thoughts preventing me from starting to sleep as soon as my head hit the pillow ! Maybe it dilutes some of the chemicals in the blood & brain vessels allowing for relaxation.
Even having to get up in the early hours as a result, I can still get back to sleep. I hope this works for somebody else.

Helpful Tips

Shift work sleep habits
I've been doing the same rotation for over 20 years and occasionaly have difficultly making the night today transitions. I keep my bedroom ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center