Skip to content
Are You Gluten-Free and Sleep-Free?
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
People with a gluten sensitivity commonly suffer from sleep disorders that are related to depression, anxiety and fatigue. Are you sensitive or intolerant of gluten? How has it affected your sleep life? Read the blog post by Dr. Michael Breus, then come back here to share your comments.

An_206969 responded:
I suffer from all the above. I find myself going to bed as soon as I put the kids down, however, I am still exhausted the next day for work. Bedtime is consistent, I don't tend to watch tv before bed (although I am a CSI junkie) I take my omega's and vitamins (calcium magnesium before bed) I exercise 5 days a week; weights and cardio. And yet, I have very active vivid & often disturbing dreams, I talk in my sleep having whole & complete conversations. I have been know to scream & hit in self defense of whatever is taking place in my dreams; sorry honey! What else can I do???

gingerlypenny responded:
I found out I was gluten intolerant almost three years ago. Several medical complications led to this discovery; I've had my gallbladder removed, several scopes, a manometry, and I had a hiatal hernia, which was repaired with the nissan fundliplicaton - but I still have regurgitation in the night.
If I sleep on my back, or my stomach, I will get sick - it will begin with coughing, which is not relieved by water or sitting upright.
While the migraines that I've experienced since I can remember are gone with my gluten-free diet, I sure wish I could sleep a night through. I have arthritis in my hips and shoulders, so I am constantly restless - sleeping on my side has its complications!
I've found that munching on a few plain potatoe chips helps occasionally, but not consistently. I try my best to not eat food that bothers me, and also, I cannot eat and go straight to bed - I have to wait at least 3 hours before I can go to bed or relax. Even if I fall asleep sitting up, I can have problems with regurgitation.
The results of the manometry (the world's worst test, to me!) said I had a lazy esophagus - and I haven't been able to have a doctor tell me there's anything to be done about it -
For only being 44 years old, and wanting to live to be 100, I keep thinking it will be a long, hard haul to make it!

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center