Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg numbness while sleeping
runner4life12 posted:
For the past 6 months or so my leg has been going numb when i go to sleep on my back. The specific region that is affected is my left half of my right thigh. If i lie on my back, left side, or stomach that part of my leg will first tingle then go numb. The tingleing feeling is like an e-stem machine like a pulsing and then a few minutes later my leg will go numb. If I poke it with something sharp i can feel something is there but i can't feel the pain. Its like when you get a shot at the dentist. You can feel they are doing stuff to you but you cant feel the pain. Recently the section that goes numb has turned a little whiter than my natural skin tone when it goes numb. The numbness normally goes away after 30 mins or so (no pain its just there then fades away) but more recently i have noticed it still feels a little numb throughout the day. Like it feels different than the rest of my leg or my other leg. Ive been to the doctor and they told me it was probably just a nerve being pinched or something and to give it a few months and it will go away. I dont know if that doctor is right. Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so what their diagnosis was.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear runner4life12,

My suggestion to you is that since "half a year" is longer in my mind than "a few months," I would be wanting to get some answers. Obviously, it hasn't gotten any better. In fact, you said that recently the skin started changing colors during the episodes which sounds like it's getting worse.

If your previous doctor is unable/unwilling to help you, I'd consider getting a second opinion. A neurologist might be an expert to consider consulting with.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center