Skip to content
Headaches after I wake up
daria26 posted:
Hello:
Someone please shed some light on this matter:

During the week I wake up at 6AM and no headaches. But when I sleep in on the weekends, and wake up at, say, 7:30 or 8 AM I have terrible headaches. Why and what can be done? Thank you!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear daria26,

I would strongly suggest talking this over with your doctor. He or she may want to do some tests and evaluate possible causes. I don't know if you drink a lot of coffee, but if you're used to having caffeine at a certain time during the weekday, having it later on the weekends might cause a Caffeine Withdrawal Headache.

Yours in health,

Byroney

momwriter responded:
Hi Daria26,

I too frequently have headaches (more like migraines) when I sleep "wrong" or too long. They wake me up and I have ended up in the ER because I can't get relief with OTC meds, hot showers to loosen up my neck (I know that I have cervical stenosis), or anything. Then I am paranoid to sleep for fear of repeating this cycle.

I began noticing more neck issues & headaches after my husband and I bought a new "memory foam" mattress a few years ago. The foam mattress helps my hips immensely (as I am a side-sleeper and I have been blesssed/cursed with lots of curves) but my neck has suffered instead. What type of mattress do you have? Pillows? It may just be coincidence, but who knows?

At any rate, I hope you find a solution. No one should have to suffer from sleeping. Good luck!

daria26 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Byroney, I will try that strategy. daria

daria26 replied to momwriter's response:
hello:
Thank you so much for a thorough reply - I sleep with a very narrow pillow and have a "bob-o pedic" mattress from Bob's.
I hope I will find a solution soon, thank you again for your input!

healthyguy1122 responded:
Caffeine withdrawal could definitely be the culprit. I used to drink 1-3 cups of regular coffee a day at work Mon-Fri and none on weekends. And many weekends I'd get terrible headaches. I switched to decaf coffee and cut down on chocolate consumption and headaches disappeared.

micheleou responded:
The same thing was happening to me! For almost a year I would say. I went to my doctor and she recommended me to a neurolgist--and, she had me doing all kinds of crazy stuff. She had me changed my diet to no wheat, dairy, alcohol and no caffeine. I tried it for a few weeks and I didn't feel any different. My doctor recommended trying Excedrin Migraine. And, that's all it took. When I wake up on a Saturday and I have a headache I take an Excedrin Migraine (it has to be the Migraine Excedrin...not regular or tension headache), and maybe twenty minutes it's gone. This has worked for about 6 months now. There has only been a couple of times where it didn't work...but, comparing to me waking up almost every weekend with horrible headaches I'll take it. And, I didn't understand why it was just happening on the weekend. But, I have a family member that is a nurse--and, she said it's a mental thing. She told me it wasn't the first time she heard of it. She was trying to explain that it was something about when you're busy during the week and your brain is constantly active it might not be as prone for you to get a headache. But, on the weekend, when a person is at ease-- you know you don't have to go into work and your brain is completely relaxed. Something like that. Although this could have just been her idea of what it is...but, it kind of makes sense. But, please try the above, it worked for me. And, I mean it, these headaches would wipe me out on the weekend. Oh and one more thing. My neurologist said Excedrin Migraine might not work for everyone--she said people react differently to different pills. So, if it doesn't work, maybe try other migraine medications until you find one that works. Good luck!

micheleou replied to micheleou's response:
oops..I said I'd take an Excedrin...but, I should've said take two. Definitely take the full dose....and w/ these you can only take 2 in 24hrs anyway. Thanks!

daria26 replied to micheleou's response:
Thank you so much for your valuable input! I have tried Excedrin Mingraine and it helped! I'd rather not take pills but if it;s the only thing that's working, then so be it Thanks again!

daria26 replied to micheleou's response:
Thanks!!

An_241922 responded:
I've heard that mild oxygen deprivation during sleep can cause one to wake with a bad headache. Could sinus issues (not being able to breath through nose very well) cause this and how does one change it for the better? I tried those "breathe right strips, and while they do open my nose/nasal passages, they don't stay put (thanks, hot flashes) and the tape irritates my skin, anyway. The headaches have gotten severe enough that they trouble me well into the morning, sometime only clearing up after I"ve been up and around for a couple of hours. I'm retired, and it's become an every morning thing, only difference is they are worse if I sleep longer. But always there when I open my eyes, no matter what time.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_241922's response:
Hi An_241922 and welcome to WebMD,

You're responding to a discussion that was begun over a year ago so I'm not sure anyone else is still looking in to this particular discussion.

But, either way, I really encourage you to discuss all of this with your doctor to try and find the culprit.

AparnaBh responded:
Hi there! I realise i"m reviving an old thread, but there still are people who might need some answers.

I've experienced the same severe headaches on oversleeping - which led me to follow my quest to the know-it-all "Google"!
Now, I'm no medical practitioner or anything, but I do believe that my headaches were caused by........ drumroll......... "Sleeping on my tummy".

Let me Quote:

"Obstructive sleep apnea—A disorder characterized by loud snoring during the night, periods in which a person may stop breathing during the night, and significant daytime sleepiness. This disorder usually results when the person is lying on their back and the oropharynx (or airway) becomes partially obstructed. Obstructive sleep apnea may result in medical problems such as hypertension and heart problems."

Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute.http://www.mhni.com/faqs_sleep_disorders.aspx

While I do not snore, But i"m sure - sleeping on my tummy might at times obstruct the airway.
That's my diagnosis, And Rx : Healthier sleeping Habits!

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center