Might Claritin effect one's sleep?
Hot_Coder posted:
I suffer from allergies/hay fever. I've been taking Claritin, or a generic, for years now, in order to combate the symptoms. But I'm wondering, might Claritin effect my sleep? I'll go to bed at 10:00 PM to 10:30 PM and try to sleep for 7 hours, but often I awake at 3:30 AM and cannot get back to sleep. I take Claritin in the morning, because that's when my allergies bother me the most, but it is supposed to be a 24 hour medication.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Hot_Coder,

Thanks so much for posting. A quick way to check and see if your medication could be the culprit, is to give your pharmacist a call. He or she can let you know if disrupted sleep could be a side effect.

Best wishes for better sleep,

Byroney

noreturnbacktosleep replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I do have the same symptoms of what hot_coder does. I go to sleep 10 - 1030pm. But I wake up like an alarm clock between 330 and 4am. After that I cant go back to sleep. But I lay on the bed until 6-630am. This has been like this for the past 2 months.
First I thought this was due to drinking of water before bedtime and urging to go to bathroom. But this continues even if I dont have the urge to go to bathroom in the night.

I did take claritin for 4 days only in the last week. Now I stopped it, but I still wake up 330ish. I dont do any alcohal or soda. I am a tennis player. I do have this problem even if I work out or go to bed with some workout around 5ish in the evening. I dont see any pattern that I am doing wrong.

I do take Tea or Coeffe around 5pm ish. Thats my next try to avoid and see. But I used to take tea even before 3 months. I did not have any problem.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hot_Coder replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your reply, Byroney. Believe it or not, today is the first day I got notification from WebMD that I had any reply to my question from 3 months ago.

Anyway, I'll take your suggestion to a pharmacist. Sounds like a good idea!

Fredchopin responded:
A light snack such as graham cracker and milk may help you. It may be especially helpful at 3 am. Give it a try. Your blood sugar might be out of whack.

Fredchopin replied to noreturnbacktosleep's response:
Try a light snack such as 2 cookies and milk before you try to sleep. Even at 3 am. Reduce caffeine, nothing at least 8 hours before sleep, or cut it out entirely after lunchtime. Watch out for cola, orange soda, etc.

NeNe_11 replied to Fredchopin's response:
Claitin always wired me out & therfore I could not sleep.

Hot_Coder replied to NeNe_11's response:
Interesting, NeNe_11. I'm wondering if I should try something oother than Claritin.

NeNe_11 replied to Hot_Coder's response:
Depends how bad your allergies are. Mine were not too bad & I was able to stop using Nasonex. Now I just use Ayr( a nasal saline spray) & that is all I need.