Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Drowsy Driving
leafsrus posted:
For the past 3 weeks I have had an increasingly difficult time staying awake and alert while driving. I don't get the best night's sleep most of the time due to sleep apnea. I have driven courier for many years but the nodding off spells behind the wheel are unlike anything else -- and this is the only place this happens. Initially, my vision starts to get blurred -- specifically, my eyes start to cross -- and then no matter what I do, I can not seem to get focused. I have blasted music, opened all the windows, sung out loud at the top of my lungs, slapped myself repeatedly in the face, bounced up and down in my seat, shaken my body and limbs... And it just comes back. I get a shiver/shudder that seems to warn me and I become alert just in time in a few instances. Unfortunately, not driving is not an option.

If anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Gregg

pixe5 responded:
Hi Gregg,

I totally identify with you. I haven't driven for years because of that problem. Are you being treated for sleep apnea?
If so then it may not be working right and you need to see your doc.

In my case in addition to sleep apnea I also have a medical condition that causes fatigue. I am unable to work or to drive.

I would also get tested for other medical conditions that might cause sleepiness, such as thyroid imbalance or anemia.

I don't want to sound judgmental because I know you don't want to lose your job, but I just need to point out that according to studies sleepy driving is as bad as drunk driving.

I hope this helps.

Pixie

marisamorgan replied to pixe5's response:
It's really frightening when you are battling for a sleep disorder because your health and life is almost at risk. In my case, I am suffering from insomnia and my sleep is irregular. Because of this, my driving is disturbed as well and sometimes I am distracted while driving in all means. I hate to admit, but sometimes I am a drowsy driver and I am very reluctant while handling my sleep problem. Luckily, I didn't face road accident because of my insomnia and I am so thankful of this.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center