Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleep Disorders
An_207025 posted:
Its been about 6 months since Ive had a good nights sleep. Back in December I had a dental problem resulting in the extraction of a fused tooth, since then I havent slept through the night & its getting worse. Ive tried OTC meds and even took 3 times the recomended dose & still no sleep. I got a prescription from my nuerologist for Lunesta and that only helps me sleep for maybe an hour to an hour and a half at a time. I still wake up all night long and if I dont take the Lunasta I get NO sleep. FYI I see the nuerologist for migrains that I have suffered from all my lfe. I recently got into a car accident because I fell asleep at the wheel. There are NO sleep disorder doctors in my state covered under my insurance, can a general physician help me? I dont have a current physician...

NeNe_11 responded:
Yes, your neurologist or your pcp can help you. There are so many things they can give you for sleep & sometimes it is not a "sleeping pill" that finally gives you relief. For example, I currently use ambien & it works well but only because I use it in conjunction with other meds. Some of the other types of meds that can help with sleep are anti-anxiety drugs, some types of anti-depressants(tca's),anti convulsants, as well as things like ambien & lunesta. I had great success in the past with xanax, for years, actually. Lunesta did nothing for me but make me sick in the morning after getting very little sleep. Everyone reacts so differently to medications though, what works for one may not work for another.

I hope this was helpful & you can get some sleep soon!

Denise

questions321 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Thank you very much Denise, yes your reply was helpful. I have been taking Floxetine-generic Prozac for approx. 4 years and I also started Imipramine (before bed) in January 2011 which is a musle relaxer & also used for depression for the migraines. I will find a physicain, explain all this and see what else I can get prescribed fro now. I hope this insomnia just goes away as suddenly as it came LOL.

THANKS!

NeNe_11 replied to questions321's response:
Just thought of some of the other non-med things you can do, if you are not already, to help your body get in the mood for sleep.

Take a hot bath or shower before bedtime
Keep your room cool & dark
Drink a hot cup of decaf tea or warm milk
Dont go to bed on an empty stomach-a little protein is good like a slice of turkey or chicken. I do ok on some crackers though
Try to go to bed & awake at the same time each day
Try a white noise sleep machine
Try a humidifier

There are so many more that you can google but those are the ones that come to mind.

Happy Dreams,
Denise

sleeprestlive responded:
Since your problems began with a dental procedure, which could change the dynamics of your airway, I would be very concerned about obstructive sleep apnea. Taking 3 times the recommended dose of anything is never a good idea. Falling asleep at the wheel is a close encounter with death (and homicide). Let your insurance company know you are at serious risk and demand a sleep study. Your life may depend on it...

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center