Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleeping Sickness
gabe70 posted:
I am 71 with DDD. Recently saw a new doctor and was diagnosed, again, as having diabetes. For about a week I have been taking my oral meds and testing my blood, and with a 86-93 am average and a 2 hr post meal in the 140-150 range, I just don't see it. Nor do the meds seem to be having any effect on my problem which is that I cannot stay 'awake'. I do not believe what I have is a sleeping problem but don't know what else to call it when I am comatose for as many as 20 hours out of 24. It's a rare day when I am conscious for even 8 hours.
This is not living.

pixe5 responded:
Hi Gabe,

I'm sorry you are going through so much right now. I don't know whether having diabetes can have an effect on sleep.
You should call your doctor about that.

If this continues you might want to get a sleep study done.

Pixie

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gabe,

Welcome to the Sleep Disorders Community. I'm sorry you're having such a terrible time with staying awake. I hope the community can help you figure out what's going on.

Here are a couple resources that may help:

You might also benefit from posting your question on the Diabetes Community where we have several Health Experts, and a very supportive community. They might have some insight, as well.

Good luck, and please do keep us updated on anything you find out!

~Andie

Helpful Tips

circadian rhythm disorders
Recommendation: do a search for Circadian Rhythm Disorder (CRD) as well as Delayed Sleep phase syndrome. The Wikipedia articles are very ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center