Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Sleep Apnea
    urbisoler posted:
    My doctor tells me that I stop breathing at night depriving my body of needed oxygen. I have a heart condition and do not need for it to work overtime. I have been using a CPAP machine. It has destroyed my nose even using a double gel pad over the nose. My question: If the lack of oxygen is my problem, why can't I just breathe in pure oxygen via a nasal canula???

pixe5 responded:
    Hi urbisoler,

If you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea then using pure oxygen wouldn't work. The reason why is because the problem is not with the lungs but with the throat. The throat collapses and you can't breathe. The CPAP uses air pressure to open up the throat

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Urbisoler,

I'm sorry to hear that your CPAP is giving you some problems. Pixe5 gave a perfect explanation of how a CPAP works and why it's not the type of air that makes the difference.

You might also check out this thread, All About CPAP's , which has links to good resources and information that might help.

Good luck, and please let us know how you're doing and if you found any relief.

~Andie
    Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

at30978 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Pure oxygen is far too dangerous. Air enriched with some oxygen is more practical. Thousands of people use some oxygen all the time.

Some oxygen use, properly applied, while not curing sleep apnea, can relieve its symptoms, such as daytime sleepiness and that can make life worthwhile.

PMH

Helpful Tips

sleep Disorders and sinuplasty
    Make no mistake this hurts bad..they make it sound like a walk in the park BS .I felt that needle in my nose, I almost choke on all the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center