Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleep Study Concern
ajcdevin posted:
Hello,

I am having a sleep study done this week because my neurologist thinks that I might have narcolepsy. I have been seeing this neuro for a while now because I have epilepsy and migraines. I know that I need to have the sleep study done because I have been having symptoms of narcolepsy for a long time now, and am just really struggling to feel rested.

My concern is about the electrode placement. I am allergic to adhesive, so I called the sleep clinic to see if what they use is adhesive. They said that they use adhesive tape to hold the electrodes on the face in place, and they use ten20 conductive paste to secure the electrodes on my head. I am going in tomorrow to try a test spot to see if I have a reaction. He said that they do not have any alternatives to these two things if I do have a reaction.

I guess I am just wondering...for those of you who have had a sleep study done, did you have any reactions to the conductive paste or the tape? I am assuming most places use a similar substance. Do you know of any alternatives to these products that can be used? I really want to get the test done, but I don't want to have a bad allergic reaction to the adhesive like I have had before.

Thank you for any input you might have.

NeNe_11 responded:
I had a sleep study done a year & a half ago-no bad reaction to the tape or paste. See what happens when you test it out tomorrow-you may be fine with it.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ajcdevin,

Welcome to the Sleep Disorders Community. I'm glad to hear that you are having the sleep study done, and hope it helps.

Unfortunately, I have not heard of any alternatives to use in place of the adhesives when using electrodes. I may be wrong, and hope the community chimes in with their help, but I did a search to see what the alternatives were and I found none. :(

I'm sorry! I hope someone jumps in here to say they know of something else you can use so you don't blister!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center