Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Are You a Super Sleeper?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you think you can function on four hours of sleep? What about if you got four hours for two nights? What if you only got four hours of sleep every night for a week — do you think you could function normally then?

The answer for almost all of us is no.

Unless you are one of a group of people called either 'super sleepers' or 'short sleepers' — people who actually only need fewer than six hours of sleep each night.

On his blog, Sleep Well, Dr. Michael Breus asks us, "If you have the chance to sleep longer on weekends or vacation, do you still only sleep five hours a night?"

If you tend to sleep in when you can, Dr. Breus says you are probably not a super sleeper and you NEED those 7-8 hours of rest. Check out this article and find out what other questions will tell you if you're a short sleeper.

Do you feel that you only need a few hours of sleep each day and could be a Super Sleeper? Share your thoughts.
Insomnia is a gross feeder.  It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

NeNe_11 responded:
I dont know that Im a super sleeper but what I can tell you is that I LOVE to sleep! Thanks to a nightly dose of Ambien, I sleep pretty good too. I wish I could nap during the day for an hour or so but can't-never could.
Goodnight & sweet dreams!
Denise

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to NeNe_11's response:
LOL @ loving to sleep! I'm glad the Ambien helps and you're sleeping well, NeNe.

I think I may be one of those people that doesn't need a lot of sleep. At least I used to be. Not so sure about now, but I used to work graveyard and survived on about 2-3 hours sleep every day for over 3 years.

Of course, I was tired as heck, so I guess that means I would not qualify as a super sleeper since they don't seem to feel the difference.

What would be better? Being able to sleep all day/night/as much as you wanted OR being able to survive & feel great after only a few hours of sleep every night?

Hmmm...
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center