Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
can't breathe while sleeping: a dream or apnea or..?
wordwench56 posted:
I am a 54 year old woman, 20 lbs overweight, non smoker/non drinker, in good health.

As far back as I can remember I have had periodic "dreams' (1-2 times a year) that I can't inhale. It's like my nose has closed. I wake up, and start to breathe again.

The last time I dreamed I was going to open the window to help me breathe, then I woke up.

I sleep on my back. I tried propping my head and neck up with pillows, but this hurts my lower back. (herniated disc) I try sleeping flat on one pillow (for my back) but then I have the sleep/not breathing "dream".

Is this a dream or apnea? Is it physical or emotional?
thanks

Pixe5 responded:
Hi wordwench,

You should probably get a sleep study done. I can't dx you but I find it interesting that these "dreams" are worse depending on your sleep position. With untreated sleep apnea sleeping on your back is not a good idea because the throat closes up more in that position.

I have back pain too and I sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs.

Good Luck,

Pixie

Helpful Tips

Get a ZEO
I went to a sleep center & did 2 sleep studies. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I purchased a ZEO (at home PSG sleep monitor) and ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center