Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Addiction to sleeping medication..
Tony1044 posted:
By trying to solve my sleeping problems, I may have unconciously made it worst. Have been taking Ambien and a lot of herbal supplements for as long as I can remenber, it all was nice and dandy until I realize that if I don't take take them, I'm unable to get 5 mins of sleep on any given night.Problematic? yes to say the least.

Try to stay away from the meds? I don't feel sleepy even If I don't get any sleep at all for 2, 3 nights in a row.I just feel miserable and can't go on doing the things I usually do. I'm just a wreck.

how do I get out of this? getting back to sleeping soundly on a regular sleep pattern? any suggestions will be welcome.

NeNe_11 responded:
Hi Tony...Just curious as to why you want to go off the ambien if it is giving you the sleep you need? Are you having bad side effects from it? I have been taking 10mgs of ambien every night for 3 years. I have never needed more & at times I have taken 5mgs. I have had a sleeping problem all of my adult life & will probably need to take them indefinitely. I am ok with this. I have been through the torture of not being able to sleep night after night & refuse to put myself through that ever again.
Ihope you find the answers you need.

Tony1044 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Hey NeNe..

Thanks for the prompt response..No.I actually don't have a problem with the med per se,except maybe psychologically
I kind of seeing my self as dependent for something so basic as sleep and that make make me think of myself as highly abnormal and besides I don't like being addicted to anything in life. I figure if I were to travel to a place where there's no such med and what would happen If I had forgotten my ambien back home.

But I kind of find some solace in your words, u have no problem taking it indefinitely, good. I 've been skipping it a night here and there trying to find a way to get off completely, but I have to admit so far it hasn't worked. I have to get up 5.30am every day for work, and lately if I don't take it, I'd have to call off the next day, can't function.
But thanks again nene 4 the reply,keep up with me here if something new comes up.I'll definitely do the same.
Regards,
Tony.

Tony1044 replied to Tony1044's response:

I must add for the sleep apnea sufferers that I had that condition for some time and decided to go for a procedure named UPPP in 2003. That works exceptionally well for me, in essence you have your uvula clipped, that preclude the throat from collapsing and allows free air passage throughout.

My recent sleep study reveals that this condition has evaporated.Hope this help.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the Sleep Disorders community and thanks for sharing. I hope we can offer some help.

You might try talking about your principals with sleep medications with a sleep disorders expert. Look for one who is open to holistic and/or complementary medical approaches. Asking the doctor's office staff if she or he uses other approaches may be helpful. You may also be interested in this article on Cognitive Behavioral Treatments for Sleep Disorders , too.

Have you ever looked into alternative therapies such as meditation or acupuncture?

Let us know how you're doing and if you have any other questions.

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center