Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tingling Sensation
jesvon80 posted:
Here in the last few weeks I have noticed that when I begin to fall asleep at night I get a very intense tingling sensation that begins in my chest (about 3 inches below my clavicles) and moves upward through neck and to my chin. It isn't a sleepy tingling that you feel when your arm or leg falls asleep, it is MUCH MORE intense. I feel that I have to wake up, as the feeling increases and I fear I will die if I don't. Each time that I try to go back to sleep it happens again, until finally (the one time it doesn't) I am able to fall asleep. I don't have any medical conditions that I know of and I am healthy as far as I know. I have researched nocturnal paralysis and I don't hallucinate or feel paralyzed. Any advice that you could offer would be helpful! This is terrifying and I am scared to sleep at night.

nbarton67 responded:
same thing happens to me although instead of neck and chin, (although it could be too, i dont know off the top of my head), my lower teeth tingle. it is scary and i also feel like im going to die. no idea what is happening.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to nbarton67's response:
Hello and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear about these frightening experiences you're both having!

We can't diagnose over the Internet, but maybe our resource on Restless Leg Syndrome may answer some of your questions. RLS can also be experienced in the arms, so see if the symptoms described sound like yours.

Also check this one on Parasomnias that may be helpful to you.

This is a good time to remind everyone that they should never delay seeking medical attention because of something you have read (or are waiting to read) on the WebMD Site! If you ever think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or dial 911 immediately.

Hopefully that helps, and the community will chime in soon with their experiences and suggestions. Please let us know how you're doing and if you found out anything.

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

mrgree responded:
I have the same thing happen to me maybe a couple of times a year. I do not think I am going to die, but I am quite scared and disturbed by the sensation.
I have researched the disorder myself on the Internet and I am 95% sure that it is related to, or IS, Sleep Paralysis.

I say this because when it happens I am sure that I am conscious, awake, and not dreaming. The rushing, buzzing, kind of noisy-inside- sensation starts to come on and I get scared, and THINK that I am stopping myself from falling sleep or whatever is going to happen if I let the buzzing sensations just happen and continue.

It's like something bad is going to happen if I allow myself to let the buzzing sensation build.

What I believe would happen is I would either wake up - because I am actually asleep and dreaming, or in some weird sleep/waking state of consciousness - or I don't know what. But the feeling of dread never allows me to just go with the flow, as it were.

I hope this helps others and that I have explained myself good enough. This is just my own opinion of what is happening. But like I said, I am almost positive that it is something similar to, maybe even something building up to - Sleep paralysis.
I believe that the sensations are some kind of auditory/sensory hallucinations as a result of not actually being awake properly like I assume I am.

An_248755 responded:
I have a neurological problem (ms) and I have painful spasms
that start in my neck and go down my arm to my hand and make a fist. Lately when I'm resting or asleep I have a pain near (under) my right chest. (I have been getting up and taking an asparin after this even though I don't think it's my heart because it's happening on my right side) It's a little similar to yours except YOURS moves upward and mine goes DOWN.
At times I've thought it's because I've been eating all kinds of junk food over the holidays. I know reading this sounds kind of ridiculous. I should just call my doctor. I hate going to the doctor. I try to avoid doctors who have not helped me much,
nor the medicines. I've had ms for many years. Good luck to you. pam

tdnewsome replied to mrgree's response:
I first had sleep paralysis (not dx) about 3 years ago...with no other symptoms. Recently (within the past month) I have started to get this buzzing...sound INSIDE my ears and then like a tingling electrical pulse sensation either in my arms or all over my entire body as I first start to doze off. It can happen several times in a night, one night it went on for over 1.5 hr. Always accompanied by what I believe is sleep paralysis and is terrifying. It has also happened several times during the day when I am in just a relaxed state.

I started looking at sleep stages and wondered if anyone else suspects possibly that we are entering stage 2 too quickly. The sleep spindles and the rapid bursts of energy seems very close to what I am feeling.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Helpful Tips

circadian rhythm disorders
Recommendation: do a search for Circadian Rhythm Disorder (CRD) as well as Delayed Sleep phase syndrome. The Wikipedia articles are very ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center