Alternative Treatment for Sleep
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've all been there -- you're too wired to drift to sleep. Or you wake up in the middle of the night. Insomnia can be debilitating.

Doctors say it's important to look at your lifestyle -- whether too much caffeine, too little exercise, or too much late-night work or TV is the problem. If lifestyle changes aren't enough, medications can help. Supplements may also have a place in providing a peaceful night's sleep.

The experts WebMD spoke to recommend these Supplements for Natural Good Sleep:

• Chamomile tea
  • Melatonin
  • Valerian
  • Kava
  • Magnesium

Read through the article linked above for the reasons why they recommend these supplements and you might also check out our list of Vitamins and Supplements for Sleep.

What natural remedies, such as vitamins, herbs or supplements, have you found to be beneficial to a good night's rest? Share your experience and your questions here with the community.

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder.  It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

NeNe_11 responded:
Hi Andie......I tried all of the above mentioned supps except for Kava which my doc said not to use because of other meds I was taking. None of them helped me. I also tried a sleep blend called Alteril with no luck either. I use several meds including ambien & that usually works.
Denise

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to NeNe_11's response:
Thanks for sharing, Denise. Natural treatments may help some sleep better but they may not be immediate and they definitely would not be as strong as a prescription medication.

That's the one thing about going natural. It takes time. How long did you try the different supplements?

What was it about the Kava that your doctor said would interact with your prescription?

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

NeNe_11 replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
Andie, I tried them for at least 6weeks. I know that all meds & supps work differently on everyone. I just wanted to share my experience. Each & every one of our systems are different & unique!
Denise

LadyTigressTiana responded:
My Doctor started me on Magnesium, saying I was depleted of it. It has helped my health in other ways, but not my insomnia.
Even as a child I did not sleep well at night and was always tired during the day.
I have sleep meds, but even they don't help most the time.
I do drink chamomile tea at night and does relax me. I clear my mind and just lay there. I do not drift off to sleep. It eventually annoys me that I can't sleep and I start tossing and turning. Then I read a book, which I get into and that doesn't help lol.
It could be all the medication I have to take for different illnesses now, but I didn't take them as a child. I was told that the shock of my mother's death and other things was why I didn't sleep as a child. I have been to therapy for years, which has helped me in a lot of ways, but not to sleep.
So I get the sleep when my sleeping pill will work, 1 out of every 4 days. The other times I just hope I get a few hours asleep sometime so I'm not a zombie.
I think I will try some of these remedies. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to LadyTigressTiana's response:
You're welcome! I hope some of the ideas here will help get you some rest.

Since you mentioned you like tea, there are a few in the organics aisle at the grocery store that I've tried. Some of the "stress relief" teas have worked really well for me. I drank a cup the first night, just wanting to relax, but I could barely keep my eyes open afterward. So, I don't use it all the time.

You might try a few different ones to see how they help.

Thanks for your ideas, too. Let us know how things go.

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman