Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
herbal vs. prescricptions sleep aids & night routines
laurenm328 posted:
I don't have any response to questions about Somnapure, but I have plenty of experience with sleep issues. I've been to a sleep clinic, which I could hardly call good research, since I was hooked up to monitors and wires and in an unfamiliar environment. When I couldn't fall asleep they gave me an Ambien and based their findings on a drug-induced sleep. Anyway, long story short, I've tried Lunesta (which game me night-time halucinations) and then took Ambien for 2 years. I finally weened myself off of Ambien b/c I didn't want to rely on a prescription drug to sleep for the rest of my life.

I currently take melatonin to help me sleep. It's pretty cheap, can be found at a local drug store and I feel better that it's a bit more natural (just a synthetic form of a chemical that is in everyone's brain). It doesn't knock me out like Ambien did, but I do think it helps. Also, I've found other ways to help my sleep. Here they are:

1.) I got on a good sleep routine. I started forcing myself to go to be earlier and now I naturally get tired around that time of night. Also doing things in the same order (wash face, floss and brush teeth, pick out clothes) each night is helpful.

2.) I try to turn off the TV and computer at least 30 minutes before I get in bed and my husband and I do NOT have a TV in our bedroom (I used to fall asleep to the TV but that makes sleeping much worse - read about it.)

3.) When I'm disciplined, I exercise, which always helps me sleep better.

I know everyone has different issues, but these are the things that have helped me. Good luck!

laurenm328 responded:
Oh, and one more thing. I don't drink anything with caffeine after 11am. Some people aren't as sensitive to caffeine as I am, but it helped me.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to laurenm328's response:
Hi Lauren,

Wow, these are great tips! Thanks so much for sharing what's worked for you.

I know that exercising has helped my sleep, as well. I'm terrible about watching TV or staying on the computer too late, though. Most nights I fall asleep staring at either one. :(

Did you find that you had any odd, or more intense, dreams when you took Melatonin? I'd heard from others that they did.

Hope to hear back from you and thanks again for sharing!

~Andie
Insomnia is a gross feeder. It will nourish itself on any kind of thinking, including thinking about not thinking. ~Clifton Fadiman

NeNe_11 replied to laurenm328's response:
Lauren....Im so glad you were able to get off prescription sleep meds for more natural ones. I take ambien & other meds each night to sleep but also do the things you have mentioned such as doing the same things each night, in the same order-i just assumed that routine would be helpful.

I found it interesting that you had a sleep study done while taking ambien-the same with me. I was surprised when the lab tech told me to take it as usual. How do they know why you cant sleep, if you slept with the help of a sleeping pill? I never could figure that out! Do you have any thoughts on this, & did they tell you why you could'nt sleep?

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center