Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OTC Sleep Aids
mmatch posted:
I've taken 2-4 Tylenol PM or Excedrin PM for the past 15 yrs or so. The Dr prescribed Ambien but I couldn't tolerate it. Excedrin PM works. I'm concerned about any long term damage from taking this stuff for so long. Anyone know if this might cause any medical problems in time?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy, Mmatch!

I'm standing in today for your regular moderator, Andie. I'd suggest asking your pharmacist. I've found that they know answers to questions on medications, even OTC and are usually easy to get a hold of and free.

Let us know what you find out,

Byroney
I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Benjamin Franklin

tiggiewinkle responded:
MMatch,

I was going to post about my own problem with taking the same dosage of OTC sleep aids you describe for at least 10 years that I can remember and found your post. If you are still a member of WebMD and get this reply, I really hope you can share if you have found a solution. I feel desperate for sleep without any pills at all. Last night I decided to quit cold turkey and never fell asleep, but I am committed to wait the 4 weeks or so it may take if I can believe there is a chance it will help.
Thanks for any advice or tips you can give to help me.

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center