Skip to content
Why am I like this?
An_239930 posted:
Whenever I sleep, in my bed, and in class(I occasionally sleep in class.), I always wake up in a panicky state? I have adrenaline going and everything. It's not because I have nightmares either. But it seems like everything is 10x more amplified, and then I wake up, and my heart races 10x faster than usual. I was just curious as to why that is

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

I don't think you're alone in experiencing this. While you're waiting for responses here, try also posting on our Anxiety & Panic Disorders community .

RockyCocco responded:
When you wake up, panicky, look in the bathroom mirror or at least touch your cheeks. If your face has a hot red flush, this is histamine being released by mast cells. You may have a mast cell activation disorder or mastocytosis. Check out The Mastocytosis Society web site for doctors that are experts in these rare (but maybe not so rare) illnesses. Other causes may be a neuroendocrine tumor like pheopchromocytoma. Get checked by an endocrinologist.

tishalish responded:
Did anything bad happen to you as a child, adult ect. I know I do he same thing!! I wake up in like the world is blowing up!!panic fighting know s dont touch me when I'm asleepas was diagnosed with post traumtic stress syndrome, you dont have to have nightmares! Its like your brain reacts when you fall asleep and wake up your brain overreacts and thinks ok, whats going on, and it s ready to fight or flight, are you always on guard, waiting for something to happen and be ready? I know when I found out it was a big relief, knowing I wasnt going nuts and not sleeping was not acceptable!! Talk to your doctor get diagnosed with what ever it is and get treatment!! Lifes to short!!

Amimcc replied to tishalish's response:
I am 34 and have been diagnosed with PTSD. My worst problem is sleep. I can have 20 nightmares that seem so real and vivid a night. I will lay my head down for 5 min and wake out of a horrific nightmare. up and down all night. I'm either running for my life, being hunted, my animals are being killed before my eyes, my family is going to be harmed, I'm being arrested for something I did or didn't do but going to prison for life. Usually I'm running scared. I wake up but still feel the dream and sometimes cant shake the fears that it caused away. I feel like I more or less hallucinate all night.I have to get up and shake it off before going back to sleep or I go right back in it. Sometimes I'm just too scared to close my eyes. Other than that I can just fall to sleep anymore. It takes a couple or three days for me to get a 6 hr sleep. I feel like I live in the dark sometimes and I get extremely lonely. I have terrible panic states at night where I have to pace my house or room and become hysterical. During the day I seem to be OK except for having anxiety. Its a night thing and I don't know how to stop it. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated thank you.

compoundia responded:
Hello, It seems you are too lazy or prefer junk/fast food a lot. It causes untimely sleeps. Apart from this, you are very much possessive about yourself, It may cause for you to be panicky.

rite99 responded:
I do same occasionally, I use C-PAP, when tested for apnea, nnurse woke me up 3 times during night, said I was pushing the 2 min. mark without breathing. I do wake up in one of the panic episodes 1-2 in six mo's. I have concluded I was a apnea episode even with C-PAP, in other words I believe your brain snaps you awake just before your heart stops. I raised air pressure and haven't had problem last 6 mo.

pixe5 responded:
That sounds like night terrors in which the hallmark is waking terrified with no nightmares. I do not know much about it though, but I believe it is considered to be a biological problem not a psychological problem. A doctor might be able to prescribe something.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center