Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

post menopausal insomnia
    capecindy posted:
    My insomnia began concurrent with hormonal shifts at midlife.
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced that? My information indicates that the hippocampus in the deep midbrain is the control center for sleep/awake, anxiety, heat/cold. Doesn't it make sense that at menopause with the hormonal shifts, there is a "short circuit" in this area of the brain and when we want to go to sleep, the wrong switch gets flipped and instead of falling asleep we become anxious or hot?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hello Capecindy!

You're right the Sleep Problems and Menopause can go together. If you're concerned about what you've been experiencing, I'd encourage you to discuss this with your doctor.

You may also want to check out our Menopause Community if you haven't already. It's a great place for additional support.

Byroney
    I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that won't work. -Benjamin Franklin

Helpful Tips

soothing sounds
    I find that when im having trouble sleeping a sound machine helps me get to sleep More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center