Skip to content
Sleep Apnea and migraines
twolas1 posted:
Is there any connection between the CPAP mask and chronic migraines? Have had this migraine too long...

dersprokkett responded:
If your mouth is falling open, then the air from the machine isn't helping you. If your machine isn't calibrated correctly to treat your apnea, then the migraine comes from lack of oxygen when you're sleeping. You need another sleep study.

Anon_6252 replied to dersprokkett's response:
Although I did not read this entire discussion, I know from my husband's long experience that a firm chin strap is usually a must with a CPAP. Although I do not have sleep apnea, I find that I mouth-breathe often when I sleep on my back, resulting in a very dry throat and mouth in the AM. I plan to start wearing a chin strap myself when I can find one I find one that is comfortable.

AlanMiles replied to Anon_6252's response:
I used to mouth-breathe a lot when using my CPAP, so I purchased a full face mask. That solved the problem, and interestingly it also vastly reduced my tendency to get sinusitis, even though I then breathed through my nose much more! Go figure!

Also, I have a CPAP that acts like a sleep clinic. It monitors my breathing and automatically adjusts to my needs, which can vary with the seasons. It costs a bit more, but was worth it. I don't need follow-up at present. I purchased the digital interface as well and download the stats to my computer so I can keep an eye on what's happening. For me that works well. It's not for everyone though ... most will need the follow-up at least occasionally.

RxFreeZone responded:
Yes, there is a strong potential connection. At the root cause of many headaches is chronic dehydration. your brain isn't getting enough water. Your CPAP machine is pumping air into your body all night and if you are a mouth breather, that's contributing to the dryness. Does your mouth get dry even with a humidifier? Increase your water during the day. Drink mineral or real spring/well water. Not pure or purified water (basically "dead water") that hasn't any bio-electric charge. Your brain is your drought manager. It needs bio-electricity and it can't have it without water. The brain is 70% water as is much of your body. If you feel the water you drink sitting on your bladder, its not being absorbed properly. See if you can get your hands on some Kangen Water. It's microclustered and is likely to absorp easier. Another route is iWater through GIA...its molecule structure makes it more absorp-able. The goal is to drink half your body weight in ounces per day of water. If you weigh 200 pounds, you need to get 100 ounces into your body during the day. When you start absorping it, you will enjoy drinking it more. Good luck!

needCPAPcheap replied to AlanMiles's response:
Hi Alan,

What type of CPAP did u purchase? Thanks!

virsan33 responded:
can a cpap macine with a humidifier cause fluids on the ears

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to virsan33's response:
Hi Virsan,

Be sure to discuss this with your sleep doctor and with the supplier of the cpap and humidifier.

Helpful Tips

I love to sleep
I could sleep all day, but I work five jobs. I tried myself right out. my baby also loves to sleep. she let me sleep ad give me three to ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center