Skip to content
I cant fall asleep wihtout a sleep medication
believeinme3 posted:
Help, I have severe insomnia. I have lupus/fibromyalgia. I have had major sleep problems for years. I was on Ambien for a few years and I just recently switched to Lunesta. If I do not have my sleep medication I CAN NOT fall asleep. Literally. I lie there with my eyes closed for hours and nothing. I never FALL asleep. If I dont sleep I go into a major flair and am in a lot of pain. That is why I am continually prescribed sleeping medication. My wish is to be able to fall asleep with out medication. To only use it occasionally. I think that now that I have been on the medication for so long I have become dependant upon the med's and I do not know how to get off of them.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get off of these meds without throwing myself into a flair and not sleeping for days.

Any ideas/help would be great!!

Thank you~

suej4317 responded:
HI. Boy, your story sounds just like mine! I also have lupus and fibro. Sorry i can't help you but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your struggle! I am lucky if I fall asleep before 2am. And even luckier if i stay asleep longer than 2 hours at a time. Sleeping pills dont help at all.Hope you get some answers soon! Good luck!

kevand62 responded:
Hi believe: I have Fibromyalgia. I've had it all my life but I was diagnosed 20 months ago. I've been to almost every MD and ND in my area. Nobody could help me be able to sleep among other things. However, in the last few months my current Naturopath put me on DHEA cream. I started to sleep through the night for the first time in my life.(I'm 64). Then during this last month I forgot to put it on and I started having all the same symptoms again: restless legs, fatigue, clenching my teeth, and of course no sleep. I've read the book on DHEA and to my amazement all those symptoms are listed. I also take Melatonin but it didn't help to have deep sleep or feeling rested in the am either. It only helped me to fall asleep. If I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night I could not fall back to sleep. All my symptoms were so much better when I was on DHEA. I'm back on it again and I'm not going to forget to put it on, ever. !!!
I hope this helps,

01siegler replied to kevand62's response:
Hi kevand62,
I'd like to try DHEA Cream. Is it prescription? I've also had insomnia all my life (I'm 51). Taken Ambien for 10 years. I break them in half, and when I get up to use the bathroom, if it's still early enough, I'll take the other half. Don't like what I'm reading now about Ambien..so I know there has to be a better way. Can not afford to be a zombie all day, so sleep is so very important. Do you take your melatonin with this cream also?
Looking for answers, just like the rest of us!

01siegler replied to kevand62's response:
Hi kevand62,
Thanks for your response. I live near San Francisco. But I will give your ND a call. Just had my hormones tested a couple of months ago, and am going to discuss it with my gyno this week. I like that what you take sounds pretty natural. And maybe it could work for me. After 10 years of Ambien, I think it's time to find a better way to get to sleep. I spoke with a pharmacist yesterday who said that alot of the other sleep meds just make you sleepy, but don't knock you out like Ambien does. I think we all are sleepy already..just can't get to sleep! I'll letcha know if what you take works for me after I"ve tried it. did you go the sleeping pill route before you came upon what you do now?

Helpful Tips

Suggestion of Nasal Pillow Masks
The best type of a CPAP mask to use is one which has nasal pillow instead of a mask which goes over the nose and above the upper lip. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center