Skip to content
What is the Best Mattress for You?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
WebMD recently published an article about what to look for in a good mattress:

The Best Mattress for a Better Night's Sleep

What kind of mattress do you have now? Have you changed mattresses in an effort to get better sleep and was it successful? Or are you in the market for a new mattress and what are you hoping to get?

sleepingmikeawake responded:
The history of Sleep devices.
I have slept on duck down mattresses, which are very nice at the start of the night, but all them feathers seem to fly south by the middle of the night.

I have slept on inner spring cotton and it never ended well for those type matresses.

I had a living cotton matress at one time, very nice but to bothersome because to keep it fluffed up ya have to put it out in the sun. ( to much work)

I went the way of the water bed with and without baffles. This was getting close to what I was searching for.

The wife and I went bed shopping and layed on one of them memory foam things. To me, this was a cross between a goose down and a living cotton mattress.

We settled for a select comfort because of the ability to adjust the mattress to what our bodies need on a day by day basis. For me some times the kitchen floor is just the right hardness to sleep on. But that's me. since each side is adjusted seperately the wife gets to sleep in her comfort zone which is on the lower end of the firmness side than my liken.

As we have grown much older now and seem to be feeling the earth's gravity much more. We have added one of them memory foam toppers to the bed. this makes for a good combination.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to sleepingmikeawake's response:
Sounds like you and your wife found a good solution! I've heard so many good things about memory foam (and have one myself) and things like the sleep number bed (sounds like that does the same as yours) and you managed to combine the two. One day, I may have to look into that.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center