Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
sleep maintenance insomnia?
sl3pl3ss posted:
I've had sleep problems lately. I wake up at the smallest noise, and it will take me forever to fall back asleep. Or it will take me 40 minutes to fall asleep and i know that i'm sleeping through out the night. It's like my body is asleep but my mind is awake, even though my eyes are closed. Like it's not a deep enough sleep.

I wake up tired every morning. I'm not tired and feel well rested when I can go to sleep and wake up on my own time.

I can't afford a sleep study so I have been researching sleep disorders to diagnose myself. I think I have sleep maintenance insomnia. I have all the symptoms.

I guess my question is does this sound like sleep maintenance insomnia and what can I do for a better nights sleep?

Susebebe responded:
Yes sounds like sleep maintenance insomnia.
I can offer only The usual advices:

- eliminate stress
- do some exercises
- practice breathing exercises
- don't drink alcohol
- meditate about yourself

Awakefullness responded:
Primary Insomnia is a problem with an over active mind. It is within the suffer's power to sort out the problem. Meditation using a mantra and listening to tapes

In contrast you might have Delayed Sleep Phases Syndrome (DSPS). When your able to sleep in later you manage to gain sufficient sleep? It would mean though that you do not actually sleep until early morning which could be as late as 4:30am or later. I thought for a lot of years I was sleeping earlier but my natural sleep time was around 5am. I used to then nap when I got home. So for 42 years I survived on approximately 3 hours unless I was able to sleep in on weekends.

I now have "non 24 hour sleep / wake syndrome" which is very debilitating so I'd not mess with it and just get a job that starts mid afternoon. That's the best way of managing it if you fit the DSPS description?

Helpful Tips

SOLVED....! Gasping for air, hiatus hernia, Belching and Anxiety
I think I have finally found the answer to this issue of waking up gasping for air. I have been experiencing this for years and found the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center