Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stress and Sleep - How About You?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
April is Stress Awareness Month so I'm wondering - since stress can impact our health in so many ways, including our sleep:

Is stress one of the problems for you in getting a good night's sleep?

What are some of your biggest sources of stress?

How do you handle them?

Tell us about something that used to stress you and how you dealt with it. What changes have you made?

sleepingmikeawake responded:
Wow, 6 days ?
Stress is a joy killer in all facets of life. Emotional, Mental, Physical, and Spiritual.
We all try to avoid it. Yet there are those that give the outward appearence that they thrive on it. We know differently, don't we.
Stress causes all sorts of trouble, even if you think you have solved the situation that caused the stress in the first place. Some time in the night whilest sleeping most will subconciously review and sort and store all of the days activities and if strong emotion is connected with the information it may just either work its way out in a passive dream or scare the bejeevers out of ya. Or if you're fortunate as alot are you wont even remember the silly ways the brain handles it.
The bigest scource of stress is alomst gone as my job as an Analysis and Repair Technition is heading to Mexico. 2010 was so much mandintory overtime that it put me in the hospital.
After three more E-R visits and two more hospital stays the following year, along with so many tests I have stableized. When you over work and inturn over stress, it wears the immune system down. In turn you could end up like me and get a virus of some sort and getting the autonomic nervous system messed up. I am sure the spinal stenosis has a part in there as well but I was required to keep a thurough journal on my diet, sleep, pain, BM's, and general all around feeling. For 5 months I did this.
It was a daily routine and almost became an obsession. I did get the information that the Dr. needed to diagnose me with IBS. I could have pushed further into what other things were wrong. but I realised that there has to be a balance of how I think on things. They say you can think yourself right into the grave. It is certianly true that your thought processes on at least some things can have a negative or a positive effect on your well being. So I stopped journaling my every day stuff and now I only write in my personal journal my lifes big events or when I start to get depressed. (Journaling my thoughts has helped me out of the darkness of depression many of times in the past especially before I found a support group for my Narcolepsy.) I certianly hope this helps in your discussion about stress. Having a sleep attack in the middle of driving to wo or from work has to be right up there with the most stressful situations that I have. You see, you can't always time the medicines to co-inside with the digestive absortion timing and the time to be at work. So that's why I work hours that when I am driving, there is little traffic and I have changed my career to have less distance to drive. (I went from a 2 to 3 hour commute to 20 minutes.) I have found that on average if I am by myself, I can go about 15 minutes before a struggle with something Narcolepsy related. Believe me it will be a big relief to be out of work. But then there you have it...how to survive on little or no income. Large stress when given the chance to think about it long enough. It seems to have no end. Still, I have hope that soon all things will be mended.
I hope this helps.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to sleepingmikeawake's response:
Really great comments, Mike; you hit so many points. I agree that it's often our perspective on things that can make the most difference in dealing with day-to-day stress AND whatever health conditions are in our lives.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center