Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Unsuccessful CPAP use
LAB1981 posted:
I should be using a CPAP for obstructive sleep apnea and I snore so much I can't sleep with my spouse. So far I have been unsuccessful with it because I wake up within 1-2 hours with my mouth completely dried out and I rip it off in my sleep. I have to wear a retainer that pulls my jaw forward and I think that might be part of the problem. I've tried all different kinds of chin straps and masks. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have chronic headaches, so a good nights sleep would probably be helpful.

sleepingmikeawake responded:
Hi! I went through 3 masks in 5 months. They tend to break when nthey are ripped from the face.
Have you tried nose pillow type? I was skeptical when I first heard about it. but it seemed to work great for my case. I have the double whammy of apnea. both central and obstructive. So, the air pressure had to be just enough to keep my air way open but as soon as it was to high the central apneas would increase. I am set at a low pressure rate. As far as dry mouth, I suffer from this extremely due to the meds I take for Narcolepsy. I did find a mouth wash for dry mouth and during the day I use a chewing gum for it and I also use a tooth paste that is for dry mouth. It helps a little but it is still frustrateing.
I use to suffer TMJ really bad but after a year of wearing a mouth peice while sleeping. It finally tightened up the supporting tendons to keep my jaw in line. Hope this helped some what.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi LAB,

Mike has some good ideas. You also may want to talk with your CPAP provider about an accompanying humidifier.

Desi1226 responded:
Hello, my father had the same issue. He now uses a new mask called resmed mirage nasal mask model number 628003/3 He also said it's light on his face he hardly feels it. He did say it takes a month to get use to, and you have to learn to sleep with your mouth shut your mouth will stop drying out, which also takes some time to get use to, but it's well worth it! Good luck!

MJC1969 replied to Desi1226's response:
I have tried every type of CPAP mask there is over a couple years time. I have had numerous sleep studies with masks as well as a mouthpiece like LAB1981 mentioned above. I am still using that now, but I am still SO tired, no mater what amount of sleep I get. I am of course not a candidate for the surgery, which is not guaranteed either. I am so desperately looking for relief!

RSMeister responded:
I had the same problem. Don't give up. Here is what I use:
1 Nose Pillows - Adams Circuit.
2 Custom headgear from www.cpapman.com Product # 200001 and DeVilbiss Chin Strap.
3 Heated humidifier
4 A DIY elastic strap 2" wide that goes around your head, gently presses your lips against your teeth, and is attached to the headgear with velcro. This and the chin strap are the most important elements of preventing lip leak.
5 If you still have lip leak, try taping most of your mouth closed. Use 2 pieces of athletic tape 1.5" wide. One on each side of your mouth with about 1/2 inch between so you can drink water from a bicycle water bottle w/o removing the tape. You can also breathe thru this space and sneeze if you have to.

I've been doing this for over 10 years. Good luck and don't quit.

rgcdds responded:
Many dentists treat OSA quite successfully with an oral appliance that is specially made to hold the jaw forward while the patient is asleep. Although the treatment is only performed by a dentist, it is covered under a patient's medical insurance. The treatment has been around for over twenty years, but is many times overlooked because it isn't performed by physicians. It is not the same as a night guard, but is very similar and is easy to wear. It is IDEAL for CPAP Intolerant patients!

AnnieGoshia replied to MJC1969's response:
I am living with Central and obstructive sleep apnea and have been having the same problems with ripping off my mask in the night and still falling asleep on and off throughout the day. Recently I started looking at the prescriptions I take at night for restless leg syndrome and nestles among the CAUTIONS I noticed a line saying that people using Mirapex have mentioned falling asleep while talking, eating, driving, etc. I cut my pills in half cut my use by 1/4 and a few weeks later another 1/4. I am going through all those sheets of medication once again and am changing the time I take my meds. I will be trying the mask change next. I still pull the mask off after 2-3 hours, but make it through the day better than before.

gjvbbrn responded:
Getting used to the head gear can be hard... but dying is even harder! Had a work colleage die from severe apnea she wouldn't treat---died in her sleep.
Not to mention you function so much better after restful sleep. less mental/memory problems, more energy, less pain, etc... When I am tempted to not use it I just think of these things and DECIDE that it is more important to use than be sleeping without.

tigergirl71 responded:
Add a humidifier to CPAP to take care of the dryness.

Helpful Tips

Restless Legs Syndrome
Anyone suffering from RLS or PLMD should research EXCITOTOXINS. Those are additives that some food companies put into foods, such as MSG, ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center