Skip to content
Is it stress or something else and what now??
An_245066 posted:
I have had some recient changes in my life. I am no longer working after 5 years of a fly by the seat of your pants schedule of morning, afternoon, evening and sometimes overnight shifts. My mother in law is now living with us (me and my husband) and she has many health ailenents such as COPD, MS, Osteoartheritis and I have now become her main taxi to Dr.appts and where ever else she needs to go and now I just learned that I have to give her shots 3 times a week for her MS treatment, and because of the artheritis in her hands she can not handle the needle. I have lost my drive to do anything such as clean house and we no longer have any intimacy. I just lost my cat of 14 years and I know all of this points towards depression but I just pretty much feel dead and emotionless. I feel like I am with the walking dead 24/7 and have lost my lust for life.

I am not sleeping and I use to be a head hit the pillow and I'm out sleeper but now I can't sleep. I watch tv and turn it off when I feel sleepy and cant fall asleep. I don't sleep until maybe between 7am and 8 when my husband leaves for work and then maybe I get 2 hrs of sleep. This not sleeping is really starting to get to me and I know it's not healthy. I usually take 2 benedryl to help me sleep and they always work but now they don't so last night I had a mixed drink and 2 benedryl's and I still could not go to sleep. Don't know what to do and am desperate for a full nights sleep.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

It's no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed and having problems sleeping; you have a lot going on. Is your husband helping you with all of this?

You've had some big life changes and lost a beloved pet. Please be gentle with yourself and get yourself to your doctor to start pursuing support and treatment for all of this including the sleep problems.

How you describe how you are feeling is how depression is often described and help is out there for you in the form of medication and/or therapy. Considering everything, I hope you will give therapy a try. You need and deserve some real support.

Do you have any friends you can get out with on a regular basis, if only to give yourself some time away from everything?

I also encourage you to talk with others on our Depression community .

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center