Skip to content
High Blood Pressure at 22
steviek11 posted:
I am 22 years old, I have been a competitive athlete my whole life, starting with basketball in 3rd grade and just recently ending my sports career after receiving a volleyball scholarship. I am in shape to say the least. But my blood pressure is anywhere in the 140's and between 95-105, the other day it was 145/105. I was first diagnosed last April and was put on a medicine with a beta blocker causing me to be drowsy at all times. I stopped taking the medicine hoping that with my healthy life style it would go down. I'm not sure if that helped or not at the time but now that I am no longer competing full time I am sicker than ever. I would just go to the doctor to see what the problem is but I don't have medical insurance and only had insurance through the school, not too good of coverage. Now that I am in between schools I don't have insurance and can't get insurance until 6 months after my BP is stablized.

I'm running out of energy. I feel like a sick old woman. I get winded from small tasks such as laundry, I get tight chest pains, I always feel tired and feel like I need some sort of alternative stimulant to keep me going. I get these painful stomach/chest pains, I can't breath very well at night and can't sleep on my back or stomach, it causes too much pressure on my chest and stomach. My vision has gotten worse, especially my sensitivity to the sun. I used to be a cuddler with my amazing 6'5'' boyfriend but I can't handle any sort of pressure on my body when I sleep. I frequently wake up from discomfort, and then when I wake up it takes me 3-5 bathroom trips to empty out my #1 and #2 pipes. My moods are horrible, its really starting to take a toll on my relationship. I am usually a very sexual partner with him but have lost my drive as well as my energy to have sex. When we do have sex I'm not near as wet as I used to be.

To add on to all of this from volleyball and just being a anxiety risen person I have chronic neck pain and very large knots that just don't move,if I have them rubbed out I get shooting head pains. My back pain only occurs if I'm on my feet all day, which is often, I'm a nanny for a family of 5.

And last, my oral health is very poor. Because of lack of dental insurance and lots of money my mouth has suffered. I need a root canal, my wisdom teeth removed, 2 cavity fills. The even worse news with this is that even if I did get dental insurance I would have to wait an entire year until I got work done.

I am too young and ambitious and alive to feel like this, my father is disabled from heart disease and my mama, bless her heart, just was never able to provide proper medical care. Someone please help me!!

God Bless~SK

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Stevie and welcome to WebMD,

I really encourage you to repost your message on our Hypertension community and to discuss your anxiety on our Anxiety and Panic community . The first may have some ideas for you on how to get the help you need even without insurance and discuss the high blood pressure in general, and the latter may be able to help you learn coping skills to get you through this.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center