Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Still sleepy using cpap
An_245943 posted:
I was diagnosed last October with Sleep Apnea and use cpap machine with 12 lbs of pressure. At that time I thought I was dying and was happy I finally got a diagnosis. I use my cpap every night but I am starting to feel tired again every day. I used to get up 4 or 5 times a night and now I rarely get up so I see to be staying a sleep until about a 1/2 before the alarm goes off. I am afraid the cpap was a quick fix for another underlying problem.

SnoopyRocks responded:
Have you gone back for another sleep study since you began on the c-pap? You may need to have the volume readjusted. My daughter was on a c-pap for awhile when she was younger and had to have her volume changed a few times. Also, there could still be another underlying sleep disorder other than sleep apnea. Once my daughter's apnea was under control, she was still having breakthrough exhaustion, falling asleep during classes, lunch and recess, despite 10 hours of sleep a night. Since I have Narcolepsy, that's where my thoughts for her were headed, so I brought her in again for yet another study. Although she has not yet been diagnosed with Narcolepsy, she has been diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia. All that means is, she is excessively tired, like a Narcolpetic, but the docs have no explanation as to why.
It took 20 years before I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy, mainly because sleep studies weren't on the forefront of medicine as they are now. Once I was diagnosed, it took several years to find the right medications that actually worked for me. Continue to talk with your doc about what is and isn't working for you, whether you get relief or not. Research medications to see if there is something new on the market. Above all, if you don't feel like your doc is listening, responding or understanding don't be afraid to get a second opinion. I wanted to try a new medication that came out a few years ago that was getting a lot of positive reviews from other Narcoleptics, but my doc always took the more conservative approach instead. When I was at risk for losing my job, I got another opinion. The new doc tried this medication and I haven't felt this good in 30 years! I loved my former doc, but he wasn't working for me anymore. You have to be your own advocate, sometimes.

sleepingmikeawake responded:
I agree with Snoopyrocks. You should get the day time nap study done to see if it could be another unrelated problem. But you should still continue with your Apnea treatment because it too can shorten your life by the stress it puts on your heart and lungs. I have been Diagnosed with Narcolepsy w/Cataplexy , Mixed Apnea, among other things and have had a second opinion done 20 years after the first Diagnosis Every thing the first study showed the second (New Tech) backed it up 100% I've been under treatment for more than 26 years now and have tried about everything except going without meds and leaving the work world behind. Now that my job went to mexico I am so limited that am now concidering early retirement. Hope you find out an answer to the situation.

Helpful Tips

Agreed
agreed. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center