Skip to content
Need help! Sleep is all messed up. Disorder? Depression? Confused.
An_245981 posted:
I went out of the country about a month ago, so I know it's not jetlag.
I am student and I have had a sleep test, they said I have a very small case of sleep apnea by rolling on my back. Since it's too expensive to look into that more and the tennis ball thing they told me to do was a joke and hurt my back, I can't do anything to look into that.

Anyway, I've been looking for a job for awhile, and I'm still coming up short. So I've been in my apartment alone since most of my friends are gone for the summer, going home a few times every few weeks. Sometimes I work with a small on campus job with late nights, lifting heavy recording gear. Trying to lift the right way, it's been okay so far.

But I can barely sleep at night for like I have for years; I've always had problems feeling aches and pains going to sleep, putting more weight on one side than the other in order to breathe through the night.
Since that sleep test, like I said, the cause of me falling asleep during the day during class(I thought I had narcolepsy) was because sometimes I when I sleep on my back, I breathe really small or not all.

Since I got back to take my summer class, I wake up at a normal human time, getting about 6 to 8 hours of sleep. Some days though, I get really super tired. I can barely stay awake, and get headaches. So, a little trick I picked up when I was little is to take a small power nap to get rid of the tiredness and if there is a headache it goes away. It usually did the job, and I wasn't tired or had a headache.

Well, it doesn't work anymore because now, even if I set an alarm or two, I go into a deep sleep for about 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 hours; sometimes an hour in, I wake up and I can see, but I can't move in order to go about my business for the afternoon. So when I finally wake up and can move, my headache is worse because I slept too long and I can't go to sleep because my body isn't tired, but I am. So I stay up until my body is tired and try to go to bed.

I'm just. I wonder now if it's my body also possibly slipping into a depressed state because I haven't found a job yet and emotionally it does sort of get to me and not having a whole lot of people to talk to because no one is here.
I am slightly overweight as well, I'm going to try that hopefully soon.

I just don't know what to do. And I have little money to actually get any real help if it is a sleep disorder or depression kind of thing.

If an Expert can comment on this soon, I'd be grateful.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Would like to wake up feeling refreshed, not with pain.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome here,

There are no experts on this board but I hope that others who look in will have some thoughts to share with you.

I'm not an expert either but regarding sleeping on your back.... have you ever considered getting body pillows or just regular pillows and have them prop you so you remain on your side (AND don't hurt your back with that tennis ball)?

An_245981 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thought that was the case, but I wasn't sure.

Do you have another suggestions? Sometimes that works, sometimes they actually get thrown on the floor. I don't realize that happens though. lol

Helpful Tips

Suggestion of Nasal Pillow Masks
The best type of a CPAP mask to use is one which has nasal pillow instead of a mask which goes over the nose and above the upper lip. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center