Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Can't Remember Dreams
    parkerp3 posted:
    Hi i haven't remembered a dream since i was 8 or 9 and had a nightmare is it possible that it traumatized me where i can't remember or am i not fully entering rem sleep?

caligulasAquarium responded:
    Well on a matter like this nothing is set in stone, but theory says that a reason people may not be able to recall their dreams is due to the fact their mind is repressing the dream. (This is Freud's theory of dream repression.) This theory states that being unable to remember a dream, is the product of our brains no wanting to recall dream material because it was simply to traumatic. This does sound close to your situation, but keep in mind THIS IS ONLY A THEORY. Many other studies have been conducted that show far less unsettling conclusion. In fact, a recent study shows, lack of dream recollection may be due to the prospect that memories work better in repeat. i.e, if our dreams are very 'out there', undefinable or random, its harder to remember them because it's harder to relate to life.
    With all this said, keep in mind with the topic of dreaming and dream recollection, there really is not a sure fire answer on why things are happening and what's a 'cure'. And, it's hard to crack a case like this regarding why dreams a forgotten when the topic of why we dream in the first place is still being challenged.

Helpful Tips

sleep Disorders and sinuplasty
    Make no mistake this hurts bad..they make it sound like a walk in the park BS .I felt that needle in my nose, I almost choke on all the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center