Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can't Remember Dreams
parkerp3 posted:
Hi i haven't remembered a dream since i was 8 or 9 and had a nightmare is it possible that it traumatized me where i can't remember or am i not fully entering rem sleep?

caligulasAquarium responded:
Well on a matter like this nothing is set in stone, but theory says that a reason people may not be able to recall their dreams is due to the fact their mind is repressing the dream. (This is Freud's theory of dream repression.) This theory states that being unable to remember a dream, is the product of our brains no wanting to recall dream material because it was simply to traumatic. This does sound close to your situation, but keep in mind THIS IS ONLY A THEORY. Many other studies have been conducted that show far less unsettling conclusion. In fact, a recent study shows, lack of dream recollection may be due to the prospect that memories work better in repeat. i.e, if our dreams are very 'out there', undefinable or random, its harder to remember them because it's harder to relate to life.
With all this said, keep in mind with the topic of dreaming and dream recollection, there really is not a sure fire answer on why things are happening and what's a 'cure'. And, it's hard to crack a case like this regarding why dreams a forgotten when the topic of why we dream in the first place is still being challenged.

Helpful Tips

Vegan!
My sister and I are both the same, It would take nothing short of an earthquake or being on fire to wake us up. Now if this is a serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center