Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Chronic insomnia help
Jbarker83 posted:
Hi I'm 29 yr old male and wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of insomnia. My issue started about six months I can't fall asleep at night lay there in bed for hours tossing and turning and when I do fall asleep I wake up fall back wake up the doctor gave me ambien for 30 days that worked ok I've tried melatonin didn't work took OTC sleep aids they helped alittle. I workout daily I eat right take my vitamins don't drink much or do drugs I do work the night shift 4-12:30 am but first few months doing that I had no sleep problem now all I think about is sleep and if it will ever be easy again. I had insomnia 4 yrs ago for a month or so and it just went away I do have a history of anxiety disorder but no panic attacks in years and I don't take meds for it anymore not for years. I'm worried I could have that fatal insomnia I read about online.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jbarker,

It can be so frustrating, can't it? Be sure to keep talking with your doctor about this and perhaps pursue a sleep study.

I hope that others have some ideas for you too. One thing I'm wondering is, considering your work shift, you ever allow yourself time to unwind before heading to bed? Personally, I've found I really need that time and - for me - that means no long, intense conversations with others, turning off electronics a while ahead of bed, etc.

Jbarker83 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I usually stay up read or watch tv I've tried everything and doesn't work I haven't slept in months without taking some form of sleep aid. I can't stop thinking about will I sleep etc then I read online about the fatal insomni and now im all stressed out I am kind of a hypercondriac always been since a kid. When I lay down thoughts just run through my mind about anything and I think about when am i gonna fall asleep etc

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Jbarker83's response:
Have you tried meditation and/or relaxation exercises? These are often recommended by our expert in Anxiety. You also may want to consider therapy to help you find some coping strategies.

Jbarker83 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
The only thing that helps me fall asleep is Xanax and I'll sleep for 7 solid hrs I'm just nervous I have the fatal insomnia

Somersetlane responded:
I take 50 mlg Trazadone, which is a real low dose antidepressant but acts as a sleep aid. Been around forever.

Sometimes if I wake and have anxiety , I'll take .25 mlg Clonzopane. It's a low dose and takes the edge off.

This has been prescribed by a good doctor and is not addictive.

I still wake up too early , but still am getting at least 7 hours sleep.
I've never done a sleep study, but my wife says I don't have sleep apnea from what she hears.

Good luck
somerset

Jenny1473 responded:
Hi. When I read your posting I thought I was reading about myself. All that you wrote applied to me. I tried Ambien and it worked OK, but I really didn't want to take it. I also tried Melatonin and it didn't do much for me. The Doctor finally prescribed another medicine for me called Trazodone and I am so greatful that he did. It was approved by the FDA for Depression, but it has out "outside" use too and that is for insomnia. It has been around a long time and much longer than Ambien and I have absolutely side effects whatsoever. I researched it on the Internet and all I can say is I'm glad I pursued my insomnia. I simply could not fall asleep. Period. Laid awake all night. Very frustrating. I help this information may help you. Good Luck.

Jenny1473 responded:
Hi. I'm sorry I made an error in my posting. I do not any side effects whatsoever. Good Luck.

InsightOut responded:
Hi Jbarker,

If you are open to hypnosis, why don't you give it a try? Self hypnosis can be very effective. Yes, you have to boost good sleep patterns and you have to keep bedtime rituals in order to signal your mind that it is time to sleep, but you can also tap into the power of your mind. With Self-Hypnosis and Guided Imagery you can bring back the positive memories of good quality sleep and get rid of any memory of disturbed sleep. As a hypnotherapist, I teach my clients how to relax and let go.....and how to direct their mind to move on from the first stage of sleep to a deep unconscious stage.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center