Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ACTIVE DREAMING
Michael_Westen posted:
This is a problem that's been plaguing me for some time. Though seemingly minor, its effects are major.

The scenario: I'm a 32 year old professional; I work from home and have my own business. As you can imagine, my days are busy, filled with the trials and tribulations of a busy professional. So at the end of the day like most of us, I ready myself for bed with the intent of a good night's rest in order to take on the next day.

The issue: Falling asleep is no problem... afterall, I'm exhausted! Never the less, I end up dreaming throughout the night these very vivid, realistic dreams that are so vivid (and realistic pertaining to "real world situations and scenarios") that they literrally exhaust me so much mentally, emotionally, and some times physically that when I wake up the next morning I'm so tired, it feels as if I never slept at all.

I understand some of the fundamentals of dreaming as to why we do so. Furthermore, my dreams aren't necessarily nightmares nor sexual... they literally pertain to real situations and scenarios that are going on in my life. Moreover I have no problem with dreaming; my issue and my question, is what solution can I implement to curb this and actually get the proper rest I need?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Michael and welcome here,

Have you ever considered getting a sleep study done? I'm not an expert but that could determine whether you're waking up in the midst of dreaming each night and that's why you're exhausted and why you're remembering these constant dreams. Either way, once you have answers to why and what is happening, treatment approaches can be tried.

I hope that others here will share their own experiences and suggestions.

sleepingmikeawake replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Howdy Caprice and all!
It has been awhile since I have had the chance to talk. I've been buisy with a couple other support groups for Narcolepsy.
Having to much REM sleep can cause a build up of sleep deprivation that leads to all sorts of problems. That's why it is of the greatest importance to have a sleep study done and find out if it can be straightened out or at minimum treated. I have Narcolepsy\Cataplexy\sleep paralysis\ and the HH along with mixed sleep apnea.
It makes for a miserable existence at times but with all the support from all over it is bareable. for more than 20 years I thought I was alone in this struggle but since 2009 I have contacted a great multitude of Narcoleptics who were in the same situation.
(Michael) If you want to get to the scorce of your problem that you mentioned having a MSLT done at a sleep clinic will most likely give you some answers. If it is something reversable or treatable you will see your productivity increase in your buisness. I hope you get your answers.

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center