Skip to content
boyfriend's sleep eating problem has me worried
dinogrrl posted:
I'm not sure if my boyfriend is sleepwalking, or something else. Here's what happens:

every night, he takes his medications that are supposed to treat bipolar disorder, and he falls asleep almost instantly. After being in bed for maybe 20-30 minutes, he gets up, gets himself something to eat, and gets back in bed. His eyes are slightly open, and if I talk to him he will respond, though sometimes he's confused, and he thinks I've said things that I haven't. He either eats the food standing up, or he brings it with him back to bed. Usually it is something he can eat as is, like chips, but occasionally he'll heat something up or prepare something like canned soup or a sandwich. There is always a big mess, and in the morning, he always says he doesn't remember eating at all.

So, is he awake or asleep? If he's sleep walking, would he be able to respond to me verbally? Is there an easy way to fix this? Should I convince him to talk to his doctor or his psychiatrist?

I'm worried this might be dangerous, because if he can turn on the microwave he can turn on the stove (hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell).
Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
He should absolutely talk to the doctor who prescribes his meds.

I agree with you - this could turn into a dangerous situation quickly!

sleepingguy responded:
You probably aren't together at this point and he probably went to the doctor. I do this without meds. Its calls NSRED. It happens to a few people. I do not heat something up on the stove which can be dangerous, but other than that, it is more annoying that something to worry about. If he gets up, prepare foods the night before so he will have snacks to eat and lay them out. Not you, but let him prepare them and such.

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 10 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center