Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Waking up 20-30 times per night!!!
lisaallarde posted:
For over a year now, I have been waking up multiple times during the night, as high as 20-30 on any given night. I had a sleep study which revealed no apnea. Due to my age (47) my gyn sussed that perhaps I was having perimenopausal sleeping troubles and put me on birth control pills in the hopes that the increased hormones would help. No dice. HRT won't work at the levels in that are even lower than in the BC pills. Doctor had me try Ambien, Lunesta, Melatonin, etc. but NONE of these drugs worked. It was if I had never taken them. I should mention that the sleep study revealed that I seemed to have a more active dream cycle than is usually seen in adults, and as long as I can remember, certainly since I was a little girl, I have had vivid, involved dreams that require a tremendous amount of physical and/or emotional effort to get through. A lot of my dreams could be made into movies, that's how much of a plot they have. It seems I cannot get rest even in my subconscious.

Needless to say, I am exhausted. I don't know how I manage to get through the day sometimes. I go to the gym and I'm lifting my weights and saying to myself "How the hell are you able to get these things up, you're so tired?" WIth work, home, animals, exercise and volunteer work I am very busy. I also have 3 hour round trip commute to work every day; sometimes longer if there is trouble on the road. I feel that the only way that I'm able to do all this is that my body is being driven by my brain. My fear is that I'm going to soon crash my truck due to the fatigue, or have some sort of physical breakdown.
My home situation is not too supportive; everyone in my family knows the incredible amount of stress I am under but it's not too important to them. But that's been the story my whole life, really.

Even though I had the sleep study already, I am going back to a sleep doctor tomorrow as I am getting desparate. Has anyone else ever gone through this or have any insights/advice/criticisms? Thanks ever so much for listening and stay well all.

sleepingmikeawake responded:
There is such a thing as a sleep study but the one you want should include the day time nap study as well. It will determinyour sleep onset and wheather or not your sleep cycles are being interrupted by REM type cycles. Most Dr.s seem to only try to find apnea problems. I have Narcolepsy w/Cataplexy and Mixed Apnea. all verifyed by two sleepstudies and sleep journaling It has been over 26 years now and I have gotten worse which is something they say doesn't happen. (Makes you wonder who "They" are... {Insurance carriers} there is alot that you discribe that sounds so familliar. I gave up a good carreer because I couldn't do the driving. I was bad then and now I dare not drive more than 10 min. by myself because that is how fast I go to sleep driving. Good luck in your search for answers.
Hugs from Narcolepsy support.
Michael Duffer

lisaallarde replied to sleepingmikeawake's response:
Thanks for the info, Mr. Duffer. Assuming a different stud would reveal this, is there anything they can do about it?

SwissarmyRN responded:
Hi
I know it's been a while but I feel like I could have written this email! Did you get any help or find out any helpful information?
Peace

Helpful Tips

Get a ZEO
I went to a sleep center & did 2 sleep studies. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I purchased a ZEO (at home PSG sleep monitor) and ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center