Skip to content
Sat on sofa, midday, shut eyes and then could not move!
aktapelt posted:
This used to happen to me in my late teens but has not occurred for twenty years now. Yesterday evening though it returned. I also had very vivid images of me moving around although I new I was paralysed. I imagined myself trying to pull my eyelids open and had a feeling of increased anxiety and fear. A very scary experience. I spoke to my partner and my parents about it and my mum thought it may be a mini stroke!! (I am only 39). I think it is sleep paralysis but it happened directly from a conscious and aware state and took a matter of seconds to get there (or so it seemed). It felt like I was falling or being pulled out of the back of my body and a high pitched whine seemed to envelope me. Once I relaxed into it letting go the fear, and after several attempts, I just got up of the sofa, but I have not felt right since. It feels like it may happen again any moment. I'm afraid to close my eyes when sitting down As for sleeping... I made myself stay awake until 4:30am for fear of feeling it again. I live on my own with my daughter (15) and frequently have my 2 year old son staying also.

Anyone experienced anything like this before?? Am gonna go to the docs in the morning as I am frightened for my kids. If they see me paralysed in the middle of the day that is not good at all...

Many thanks

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm so glad you are going to see your doctor! Please check back in and let us know the results - your story might help others who have had this scary experience.

Here's some information on sleep paralysis, if that is your diagnosis: Sleep Paralysis - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center