Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Travel and Sleep
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Summer can often mean doing some traveling. Whether it's big trips or small, hotel stays or staying in the homes of friends or family, road trips or flying… travel can mean finding new ways to cope with sleep problems.

How do you manage it?

butterflygarden responded:
I have a hard time sleeping all the time, but it is worse when I travel. A friend of mine suggested a white noise machine, but I use a fan at home, so I bought a small portable fan and take it when we go on car trips. Just the fan noise keeps me from being disturbed by all the other hotel noises.

However, not much I can do about the uncomfortable beds. If anyone has a solution for that, besides choice of hotel, I'd love to hear it!

Butterfly

SoCalSuz responded:
My husband and I sleep with a sound machine and pack it when we travel too. If we forget it, it's a bad nights sleep for us both!

We also take our own pillows.

I tend to sleep better on vacation because I don't have the list of work/household chores running through my head.

Suz

SoCalSuz replied to butterflygarden's response:
Butterfly - my dad just told me about a fancy hotel he stayed in that had a "pillow bar". I thought that was the coolest idea ever.

But as far as uncomfortable mattresses....that's one hard to avoid!

EleanorAnne responded:
I also don't sleep very well in general and when traveling tend to wake up more than usual for the first couple nights. I also tend to stay up later and get up earlier, so sometimes a lazy afternoon nap is in order.

I also travel with my own pillow.

Ellie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to butterflygarden's response:
I'm a big fan of a fan too, Butterfly. Works well for road trips, less well for quick plane trips when I'm trying to keep what I pack to a minimum.

For the bed, not much you can do about a bad mattress, I think, but if I'm on a road trip, I'll sometimes bring my own pillows. I've heard others talk about bringing their own memory foam mattress pad but that's a bit too cumbersome for me.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to SoCalSuz's response:
Sounds like you have it down, Suz.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to EleanorAnne's response:
Good to hear I'm not the only one traveling with my own pillow(s) when I can, Ellie.

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center