Skip to content
Nodding off at inappropriate times
charmattack80 posted:
Hi All,

Since early June, I have been having the problem of not be able to force myself to stay awake at times. It's happened when I'm driving, I've woken up with my head on my desk at work also waiting rooms and such.I sleep about 6 hours a night and never really had trouble finding energy. My short term memory is shot, and I can't concentrate on things I need to be focusing on, I sort of feel dettached sometimes. I also yawn almost constantly, everyone comments on it, I have trouble finding words as well. I look like an idiot. It's so embarrassing when you are in a professional or serious situation. I made an appointment with a new physician for next week, but wanted to get some feedback from those who have dealt with this and maybe I could add a few more questions on my list for the Dr.

Thanks for reading

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Charmattack,

While you're waiting for others to respond here, I wanted to welcome you to WebMD.

It's good you'll be seeing a physician this week and I hope you'll keep us updated on how things go for you.

AbbeyRose5 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
You might consider seeing a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders. Many primary care physicians have no idea what narcolepsy is, for example.

Good luck!

TheRealRich responded:
I have done this for years and used to ascribe it to that "after lunch" thingie, or boredom, and etc etc. Its pretty dangerous when driving!

I would describe it as what a narcoleptic attack would be like: and overpowering urge to close your eyes and sleep right now. It can happen 5 min after I get up or never in a given day. It always begins with yawns and progresses to intense yawning, watering eyes and sinus, and total inability to think straight.

But I've solved it now. It seems like symptoms of oxy deprivation to me, now. But I simply have to stand up and in 5 minutes I'm ok. Don't have to jump about or anything, just remain vertical. Or lie down and sleep, ofc. Yep, it only happens when seated. So now I think it its circulatory in some fashion.

charmattack80 replied to AbbeyRose5's response:
You may be right. I sometimes have what my doctor says are "night terrors." I can't move and feel incredibly scared. I'll definitely speak with a neurologist. Thanks.

charmattack80 replied to TheRealRich's response:
It's so scary, I have never experienced anything like this before. I never know when it will hit. I have low blood pressure and sometimes wear compression socks to help my circulation so I don't get dizzy or faint when I stand after sitting for a little while or stand too long. You may be on to something. Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Shift work sleep habits
I've been doing the same rotation for over 20 years and occasionaly have difficultly making the night today transitions. I keep my bedroom ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center