Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
NIGHTMARES NIGHTLY ABOUT MY FAMILY OF 5. DURING AGE 1-18. WAKING ME NIGHTLY.
jphillips50 posted:
I HAD AN ABUSIVE CHILDHOOD AND HAVE PTSD FROM IT. I TAKE CYMBALTA-ANTIDEPRESANT DAILY. NIGHTLY I AWAKEN TO BAD NIGHTMARES WITH MY 5 FAMILY MEMBERS IN THEM. DIFFERENT SUBJECT MATTERS IN THE NIGHTMARE EXCEPT ONE THAT REOCCURS. THAT IS ALWAYS LOOKIMG FOR A PLACE TO SLEEP AAND FINDING DIFFERENT PLACES FOR THE NITE .AT NIGHT I AWAKEN AFTER THE NIGHTMARE HAVE A SNACK GO BACK TO SLEEP ONLY TO HAVE ANOTHER NIGHTMARE. PLEASE HELP ME. SHOULD I SEE A THERAPIST. I HAVE HAD 20 YEARS OF THERAPY AND GROUP THERAPY. I AM TIRED OF THAT I AM 62 YEARS OLD. BLESSSINGS TO ALL THANK YOU

Take the Poll

WHAT HAVE OTHERS DONE TO GET RID OF NIGHTMARES LIKE MINE ?
  • SEEK THERAPY NOW.
  • SHARE YOUR NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCES AAND WHAT HELPED.
  • DO THESE NIGHTMARES INTERFEAR WITH YOUR DAY/BESDES FATIGUE.
  • I HAVE NO CONTACT WITH ANY FAMILY MEMBERS DO YOU?
  • WHAT TYPE OF MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL DO YOU SEE FOR NIGHTMARES?
vote
View Poll Results

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jphillips and welcome to WebMD,

What you're experiencing is not unusual for someone who has had abuse in their past, abuse which hasn't been processed yet in therapy.

I am not a health expert but was myself abused and had those awful recurring nightmares until I worked through my abuse issues in therapy. And my experience is not uncommon according to all the years I've moderated various communities here on WebMD. I share this because I want you to know that it is possible to heal.

I really encourage you to work with a therapist who is familiar with past abuse issues.

And I invite you to talk with others (without the all-capitals please) on our Sexual Abuse Survivors Community ; despite the name, we talk about all kinds of abuse there, not just sexual.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center