Too Overstimulated To Sleep
ispydork posted:
I exercised before bed and then later on took medication. I'm always thinking about something lately, mostly silly things. Like a movie or a TV show. Then I can't sleep because my mind is racing, no matter how tired I am. I've been sleeping well lately, up until tonight. When I can't sleep I worry that I won't sleep the next day. I've noticed if I don't naps during the day, I'm actually less tired then If I would have. Advice?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ispydork (love that name!),

According to many articles here on WebMD, both physical - such as exercise - and mental stimulation - tv, checking your computer and phone, etc. - can hamper our ability to get to sleep. And medications can also sometimes interfere.

But everyone has a sleepless night now and then. If it becomes an ongoing problem, be sure to discuss with your doctor.

In the meantime, click here for some tips on how to get a better night's sleep.

butterflygarden responded:
I sometimes have a hard time shutting my mind down to get to sleep as well, ispydork!

I found this slideshow here at WebMD that helped me a lot. Check it out -- http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-benefits-10/slideshow-sleep-tips.

For me, the biggest thing is relaxing about an hour before bed. I have a warm cup of decaf herbal tea and sometimes end the evening with a hot bath or shower right before I pull on my jammies and hit the sack.

I sometimes read, but I try not to do that RIGHT before I lay down. And, I also try not to work on my computer or watch TV an hour before bed. Gotta get in shut down mode.

I also have to have it dark to sleep. No glowing alarm clocks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly

AZ_Native responded:
Hi Ispydork.

I am a chronic sufferer of Insomnia and one of the things my therapist advised me to do is NOT exercise right before bed because it takes me too long to calm down. I also stopped watching TV, reading, computer work or anything that requires me to think prior to bed. I just started the cognitive behaviorial therapy and the process makes sense to me. I'll have to let you know how it goes in a few months. For what I understand it does take some time. But I chose to do this because I no longer want to take the medication to sleep.

Oh by the way, daytime naps us a no no.