Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Too Overstimulated To Sleep
ispydork posted:
I exercised before bed and then later on took medication. I'm always thinking about something lately, mostly silly things. Like a movie or a TV show. Then I can't sleep because my mind is racing, no matter how tired I am. I've been sleeping well lately, up until tonight. When I can't sleep I worry that I won't sleep the next day. I've noticed if I don't naps during the day, I'm actually less tired then If I would have. Advice?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ispydork (love that name!),

According to many articles here on WebMD, both physical - such as exercise - and mental stimulation - tv, checking your computer and phone, etc. - can hamper our ability to get to sleep. And medications can also sometimes interfere.

But everyone has a sleepless night now and then. If it becomes an ongoing problem, be sure to discuss with your doctor.

In the meantime, click here for some tips on how to get a better night's sleep.

butterflygarden responded:
I sometimes have a hard time shutting my mind down to get to sleep as well, ispydork!

I found this slideshow here at WebMD that helped me a lot. Check it out -- http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-benefits-10/slideshow-sleep-tips.

For me, the biggest thing is relaxing about an hour before bed. I have a warm cup of decaf herbal tea and sometimes end the evening with a hot bath or shower right before I pull on my jammies and hit the sack.

I sometimes read, but I try not to do that RIGHT before I lay down. And, I also try not to work on my computer or watch TV an hour before bed. Gotta get in shut down mode.

I also have to have it dark to sleep. No glowing alarm clocks, etc.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly

AZ_Native responded:
Hi Ispydork.

I am a chronic sufferer of Insomnia and one of the things my therapist advised me to do is NOT exercise right before bed because it takes me too long to calm down. I also stopped watching TV, reading, computer work or anything that requires me to think prior to bed. I just started the cognitive behaviorial therapy and the process makes sense to me. I'll have to let you know how it goes in a few months. For what I understand it does take some time. But I chose to do this because I no longer want to take the medication to sleep.

Oh by the way, daytime naps us a no no.

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center