Skip to content
Fisher-Wallace Stimulator
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - has anyone tried this product? It is a band that you put around your forehead and you leave it on for 20 minutes and it supposed to be helpful to anxiety, depression and insomnia.

Not sure if your primary care dr can prescribe it or if psychiatrists can prescribe it.

Would be interested to know if anyone has heard of this and if so tried it - would appreciate your comments - thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

chipfisherfw responded:
Dear Anon:

The product requires permission from a licensed health care practitioner, which can include primary care doctors. Each state is different, but usually this includes psychiatrists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, LMT, OT, PT and LSW's.

Full disclosure - I'm the President of Fisher Wallace Labs.

Paul_K_Fauteck responded:
Yes, I searched it out, purchased it, used it, and was very pleased with the results. I am a clinical and forensic psychologist, and regardless of how much I know and how good my own past therapy was, I am subject to periods of low-level mania (hypomania) and major depression. The last bout of major depression came in spite of the medications I already took regularly. Adding one more and adjusting my dosages only helped marginally.

This episode was truly debilitating. Hardly a day went by that suicide didn't occur to me as an option. I was at the point of considering electroconvulsive therapy, and searching out options, when I came across this. At first glance it's easy to confuse it with gadgets that have been around for decades and that, at best, are harmless toys, but as a scientist I saw immediately that the principles employed were vastly different and that it had been created through painstaking research.

Even if a psychologist's prescription had sufficed, which for some reason it would not have, it's neither legal nor ethical to prescribe for oneself. The psychiatrist who prescribes my meds was initially skeptical, but after reviewing the information provided by Fisher Wallace she stated "I'm impressed" and wrote the prescription. She has since prescribed it for several others.

Almost from the first application I felt somewhat better. Within a week the improvement was noticeable. I was more realistically optimistic, more sociable, was able to concentrate better and got back to some writing projects that I'd pushed aside. It's quite possible that it saved my life. I've since written about it on my blog site and that story was repeated in a regional Mensa publication.

I did experience some "flashing lights" phenomena, but they were mild, not bothersome. At times there was a barely-noticeable "prickly" feeling at the points of contact. I had a few slight headaches that may have been related to my use of the device, but they were not very troublesome, and in any event the crippling depression and fatigue that I had experienced was hugely worse.

I'm happy to use my real name, as I believe this product is a godsend to those who need it. By the way, I have never received, and would not accept, any kind of compensation for my endorsement.

Paul Karsten Fauteck, Psy.D. DABPS
Licensed Clinical and Forensic Psychologist

Anon_11642 replied to Paul_K_Fauteck's response:
Hi - sure glad you responded. - have a question or two for you - do you use it once a day like before bedtime every night for how long and then how often do you use it for maintenance as I understand after so long you don't have to use it every day but every so often? And no bad side effects or brain problems correct. Am planning on seeing a psychiatrist in October - I know I told him about this 2 years ago and he wasn't comfortable prescribing it but maybe now if more people use it he may?

Anyway, the only reason I would want to use it is for my insomnia as taking pills for so many years and rotating them - I've had this problem for over 40 years so have always had to use meds especially when I became older and now am 68 years old - thanks so much for your post and will look for a response to mine. I'm assuming it does help insomnia correct? Hope so. Thanks again for responding - just had those few questions.

Diego21 replied to Anon_11642's response:

I am very interested in buying the Fisher Wallace Stimulator, but I am also interested in buying the DAVID Delight PRO rival. I know that the FWS is the only one FDA approved( and also with Alpha-Stim device) unlike the DAVID PRO or other CES/ AVE devices. I have read about David Delight PRO and it seems that it can do more things and it has more functions than the FWS and moreover David PRO is not only a CES but also AVE device and it is also programmable. The price for this device is approximately same or even less than for the FWS.
So I wonder if someone can tell me in what exactly is the FWS device better than rival devices ? My main goal is the treatment of Social phobia, Generalized anxiety disorder and Depression.

Since, the both devices cost over $500, so I just want to make the right choice into which(above mentioned) device should I invest my money ? And which one could help me better with my issues ?

Thank you in advance !

sunflower1943 replied to Diego21's response:
Hi again - just be sure and let us know all the info you have okay and what the doctors say about both products - I would be very much interested.

Thank you.

ripvanwinckle replied to sunflower1943's response:
I purchased the FWS and started using 2 weeks ago. I havent noticed any difference yet. They say it could take up to 30 to 45 days to tell a difference. It has a 60 day money back gaurantee (less headband and ear sponges )So I thought id give it a try.Ive tried every med there is for deppression, I have side effects from them. Im praying this works.

Paul_K_Fauteck replied to Anon_11642's response:
So sorry that it took so long for me to reply, Anon. My main reason for using the device was major depression, which it helped greatly, improving my sleep in the process. That said, however, my sleep cycles tend to be erratic no matter what my mood may be.

I asked the company for advice on further use of the stimulator specifically for sleep, and got some suggestions. I won't repeat those here since they might not apply to everyone. I've noticed that they do seem to help.

During my initial use of the stimulator I did not have a fixed time for using it, although typically it would be around mid-day. I would turn the intensity up until the level two light would come on, then back off slightly.

In my opinion your psychiatrist may not have gotten sufficient information about the product. In any event, if he's still reluctant, you have a right to a second opinion. The psychiatrist whom I saw for medications was reluctant at first, since there've been 6- and 12-volt gadgets promising miracles for decades, but when she got the complete information on this particular product her response was two words: "I'm impressed." She tells me that she has since prescribed it for several other patients.

Skepticism comes easily to me, first because that's just my personality, and second because that's my automatic response as a scientist. In this case, however, the evidence has been more than sufficient to convince me that this product has genuine value in the treatment of many disorders that have neurological components.

Good luck!

PKF

Wingtsungl replied to Paul_K_Fauteck's response:
Hello Dr. Fauteck,

Your words "godsend to those who need it" describe exactly the miracles that I beg God during my daily prayers. I am hoping that this device save my life as well and make it more enjoyable.

My wife has always been concerned about all the medications I take and wants me to stop them to avoid damaging my liver.

So, my question to you is were you able to stop taking your medications or is this device an "adjunct" to taking medications.

My psychiatrist does not believe in it either so asking him may not give me this answer.

Thanks,

Greg

Nat_Funk responded:
I would like to know why people have to pay for this thing themselves since no insurance company will shell out for it. I suggest it's because they don't think it works at all.

undefined replied to Paul_K_Fauteck's response:
Paul, my son has some depression, insomnia and anxiety problems and is not tolerant of medications. I hope this helps him as it did you. What is the best peer reviewed literature you encountered for FWS?
David Kaba MD, PhD

citizenking replied to chipfisherfw's response:
Dr Fischer,

I have been using it for a few days, and so far it works as advertised. I know I still have a few weeks to go before I can really see accurate results, However, I do have a question about exercise while being treated with the device. I use it AM and PM as I have depression, anxiety and insomnia. I try to exercise every morning. Is there a benefit or disadvantage in using the device shortly before exercising? I know both will help serotonin levels...will the effects differ or be enhanced depending on when I use the device either before or after exercise?

An_259172 replied to Paul_K_Fauteck's response:
I would love to know after all this time if this device is still working for you.

My husband needs major depressive meds. He has tried 4 so far and they make him so sick in one way or another, that he gives up within a week. He is on Celexa now and I can see that he is wanting to give up again. He has waves of nausea, feels foggy. I might add he is a recovering alcoholic, about 8 months now without a drink after almost 50 years of drinking. His next course of action some brain stimulation used at the psychiatrist's office that cost $10,000. We are retired and are on a fixed income. I see this Fisher Wallace has a guarantee. That's great. But I'm thinking the time frame in which this refund is offered is perfectly in line with the product's effects similar to a placebo affect...meaning I might feel great within the refund window/time frame, but how about in a year? Three?

Would appreciate answers asap. Thank you in advance.

neville82 replied to ripvanwinckle's response:
Did you ever find anything that worked long term?

n_l_p replied to neville82's response:
Today was my first day using the Fisher Wallace stimulator. After a 20 minute session at level 2 my ear were ringing. Then my face started to flush. Has anybody experienced these reactions to the Fisher Wallace stimulator?

Helpful Tips

Beware
Somnapure caused me to become jittery andcreated a hangover feeling next morning,instead of putting me to sleep it did just the opposite! ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center