Skip to content
Do You Make Your Bed?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
A few days ago it was 'Make Your Bed Day'. Do you make your bed every day? How do you make your bed? Tucked in sheets? Duvet pulled back over the bed? Bedspread and decorative pillows?

butterflygarden responded:
I hope more people answer this one. I have to admit that I don't make my bed every day. I am a neat sleeper, so if I am by myself all I have to do in the morning is pull the covers up and toss the pillows back on.

My husband, on the other hand, is a messy sleeper. He pulls the sheet out from the bottom, and half the time I get in bed after him at night, and he has completely turned the comforter at some odd angle so that I only have the tip left on my side. LOL.

Needless to say, making the bed after he's left for the day is a bit more challenging. I have chronic shoulder pain, so many times I just leave it as is.

However, not long ago I came across this blog article here on WebMD that suggests making your bed every day leads to a more sleep-inducing environment. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give it a try for a couple of weeks and see if I sleep better. Willing to try anything at this point.

Butterfly

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to butterflygarden's response:
I hope the tips help you get a better night's sleep, Butterfly.

You referring to your husband as a 'messy sleeper' made me laugh; I'd never heard it described as that before.

mysticprincess48 responded:
Not right away Usually later and nothing fancy Besides I need a new bed and then maybe the answer will be fancy stuff.

An_248082 responded:
make my bed every day.I don't tuck in sheets,I put bedspread on with pillow shams. To me the bedroom looks better with the bed made.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to mysticprincess48's response:
Yes, it can be harder to be fussy about a bed when it's not your idea bed... yet.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to An_248082's response:
Pillow shams certainly can pretty things up.

CJGoodson replied to butterflygarden's response:
I make our bed every day and put all the extra decorative pillows on. I like walking into my bedroom with the bed made. However, my husband comes home from work early some days so he would prefer to have it unmade. With that said, if I know he is coming I leave it put together, but without bedspread and pillows!!

CJGoodson replied to An_248082's response:
Got it.....you are so right!!

wornout6116 responded:
No, I don't make my bed....according to my allergist, actually making your bed can trap moisture (b/c beleive it or not, you perspire a LOT nightly!) and can cause mold over time. If you are especiallly sensitive to mold, then it can become a problem. seems that it dries out fast if cover and sheet are lain back!
Suits me...don't have time nor care if my bed is made up...unless company is coming!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to CJGoodson's response:
Hi CJ,

It sounds like you and An_248082 have a lot in common.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to wornout6116's response:
Aha! So it's a good thing I don't usually make my bed? I have a lot of allergies but never thought of that angle. I just like throwing it open to air it out anyway.

gayleflamingo responded:
Yes, I make my bed every morning before I do anything else. I tuck in the sheets and blanket and put all the decorative pillows on top. I wash my sheets weekly so I am not too concerned about mold.

I agree that it is so much nicer to walk into your bedroom with the bed looking all neat and pretty.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to gayleflamingo's response:
Welcome to our Sleep Disorders community, Gayle! (I love your screen name.)

Helpful Tips

Hypnosis App
Hello! Found this App about hypnosis. Maybe this can help someone. There are different kinds of hypnosis programs: • Removing Blockades ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center