Skip to content
To Sleep, Perchance to Dream
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
There have been a lot of discussions here lately about vivid dreams and nightmares .

Check out this information on Nightmares in Adults .

Do you remember your dreams? What were some of your most vivid? And do you think dreams have meaning?

butterflygarden responded:
So, I have replied here before about my dreams in response to at least one other member.

I do have some vivid regular dreams, but my most vivid dreams are nightmares. And, I suspect the reason is stress.

When my kids were small I'd often dream that something terrible happened to one of them and wake up crying.

Now, I still sometimes dream those types of things. But more often than not they are dreams in which something is trying to catch me, and I am running and running. Sometimes I wake up feeling like I haven't rested.

Other times I will dream that I am working, and wake up thinking, "Ugh, I was just dreaming and now I have to actually get up and work." hehe

Butterfly

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to butterflygarden's response:
Okay, that last one would be particularly discouraging, I think. Ugh.

I've had vivid recurring nightmares too, usually reflecting some bad stuff in my childhood, and because I have a sleep disorder that means I kept waking up during REM sleep, leading to some pretty frightening dreams. Thankfully, those have eased dramatically for quite a few years now.

I hope you find ways to deal with your stress so those nightmares leave you be, Butterflygarden. You might want to check out these great ideas from WebMD:

Blissing Out

Kelley4321 responded:
I frequently wake up startled by a vivid dream and have a difficult time going back to sleep. I will remember the dream first thing in the morning but by the middle of the day I can't tell you what it was about.

Some are good but most are disturbing. My parents passed away years ago and for the longest time I did not dream about them. It seems more of my early morning dreams, just before I wake up, are about them and then I wake up frustrated. In the dream we would be doing something or talking about something and it just ends.

Like my dreams in the middle of the night I don't remember my morning dreams as the day goes on.

Not sure what all this means, it would be interesting to know.

Kelley

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Kelley4321's response:
Hi Kelley,

I'm no expert and so cannot even attempt to explain your dreams but perhaps others here will have some ideas. It sounds to me, personally, that perhaps you're simply missing your parents. Is there anything going on in your life or around you that would have triggered this now for you?

Either way, I'm sorry that you have lost both your parents. (((hugs)))

Shuey responded:
Yes, they vary usually family and friends in different situations.

I don't know if they have meaning or not.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Shuey's response:
Welcome here, Shuey. Thank you for joining in.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center