Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I can't wake up!
simplysarax posted:
Some mornings I am almost impossible to wake up. My parents have tried everything, including blasting music, ice cubes, water, taking away my blankets, bribing me, and even physically moving me out of bed. None of them work. I continue to sleep, with whatever means necessary. I will occasionally say things like "fine" or "okay", but when my parents tell me this later, I have no memory of it. I have even gotten up to move somewhere else to sleep, again having no memory of it later. When I finally wake up, its usually 12-18 hours after I went to bed. I did go see a sleep doctor, but after the study, they only found very mild sleep apnea. While this doesn't occur every day, it has been happening enough to cause me to fail courses at school, and I am in serious danger of failing. When it does happen, i begin to experience a lot of anxiety, because going back to school, I have no real explanation for teachers, as to why I was out. This only makes matters worse. If anyone has any insights into it, please let me know. I don't want it controlling my life anymore!!

miamirn1 responded:
I used to have this problem before my sleep apnea was treated with nightly sleep therapy. I use a sleep apnea machine and mask. While it's not the most comfortable thing to use, it's changed my life drastically for the better. I use it religiously, every night. There have been times when I've forgotten to use it. When this has happened, I have found I've slept many more hours and have been drowsy all day. It's so worth it to use sleep therapy every day. So when you say "they only found very mild sleep apnea" don't think it's not serious. It is! I have no more problems with being impossible to wake and sleeping many more hours that normal. Do you have a sleep apnea machine? If you do are you using it?

NatrLvrnMT responded:
I'm sorry I don't have any explanations since you only have mild sleep apnea. But I, too, am looking for an explanation for my symptoms, which are very similar to yours. Hopefully someone will respond who can give us the answers we are seeking.

I do have severe sleep apnea and have to wear a CPAP- a machine that forces air into my lungs while I sleep so that my oxygen saturation levels don't fall too far- and usually it works pretty well. But in the last week or so, I sleep all night with my CPAP and then from about 8am to about 3:30pm, I am so sleepy that my eyes are rolling back in my head and I am seriously FIGHTING to stay awake. In fact, I haven't been able to stay awake during those times without fighting sleep with all my energy. I have tried getting up and doing vigorous exercise and listening to loud, rock or dance music, turning the a/c on to get cold, etc. but nothing works. So I end up sleeping all night and most of the day. And you would think that I would not be able to go to sleep at night after sleeping all day, but I do! I'm even sleepy about 11pm or so!

I can't continue on like this. I hope and pray that SOMEONE has some ideas that can help us to function and not to be so sleepy. And also that someone will have an explanation for what is going on with us.

Take care! And good luck to you with your classes. I hope you can get some help SOON.

An_248704 replied to NatrLvrnMT's response:
I do not have sleep apnea, but I have spoken recently to a few people who do and they could not live without their CPAP-machine. Also, I have learned that one could have sleep apnea and narcolepsy. I would talk to your doctor about a daytime sleep test, which consists of 5-6 naps every two hours for 20-30 minutes. Also, sleep apnea causes EDS, which could be why you are still falling asleep during the day. I would talk to your doctor about a day time stimulant such as Nuvigil. You also may need to take a stimulant 1-2 hours before you are officially going to wake-up, which will help you get up on time.

Helpful Tips

i beat it 50 and i'm sleeping again
well here it is . go to the sporting goods store get a mouth protector, follow instructions, for fitting . now while the plastic is still ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center