Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
No one has an answer
mkupton posted:
After feeling like my life has been a long dreamy episode, I am 21 years old now, and have followed many medical avenues into finding out exactly why I feel like this, and if there is anything I can do about it.

Verdict: Nothing.

I dont want to sleep, but once I do, I sleep for a minimum of 8 hours. In the morning, I dont want to wake up. During the day, I almost collapse from fatigue. Every day of my life so far: waking up in the morning to give myself a reason to go through with the day.

I haven't got this sleep issue because I am depressed (as all the doctors have told me) , I am depressed BECAUSE I have this sleep problem.

Thoughts pour into my mind continuously with no break every day.

As other posters have stated, this is no way to live life.

Tonight, I am trying melatonin for the first time, hoping it may be the "miracle cure", although I know it isnt.....nothing is.

I do have a passion for life, but this has dragged me down for so long, that I dont recognise when I am awake or asleep anymore.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm really sorry to hear how difficult this has been for you and for so long. And sorry you haven't got any answers yet.

I understand what you mean about depression because of what's been happening, rather than it being a cause. Even so, have you worked with a therapist about the constant thinking and how this is impacting you?

Many of our members have been helped with therapy when they're dealing with a health condition - including pain or cancer or anything. You need and deserve support.

I hope that others here will have some ideas for you.

An_248704 responded:
A few questions to ask yourself: When do you go to bed? Do you snore at night? Do you wake up at any point in the middle of night? Do you feel all 8 hours are restful, or do you feel you are dreaming the majority of the time? Do you move often in the night? Do you eat before you go to bed and if so ask yourself why? Have you experienced the inability to move when waking or falling asleep? When you say you almost colaps from fatigue do you experience any muscle weakness?

I recommend you ask yourself these questions and write them down and keep a sleep journal for about to weeks, then visit a neurologist who specializes in sleep disorders, NOT your general doctor. Also, look at the symptoms for narcolepsy and other sleep disorders.

For about 15yrs I tried to get a doctor to listen to me and they too would tell me I was depressed! However, I never took any medication or was I treated for depression because I knew I was not depressed. It took me 5yrs after my first signs of cataplexy to finally get a doctor to listen, and that was only b/c I wrote it down on paper. I was daignosied with narcolepsy 3 months ago, but I now deal with full body catapletic attacks. If your doctor will not listen then get a second opinion.
I wish you the best of luck!

Helpful Tips

take meds at some time, don't eat after 7
I meant the longer reply posted a few minutes ago to to go to donnajune2000 More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center