Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bipap mask distoring face
joegumbo posted:
Hi,

I have sleep apnea and it is important that I keep using my bipap machine. (I was recently released from the hospital with CHF.) I am tolerating the bipap machine well and am able to use it for a full 8 hours sleep at night.

However, I am having a slight problem. Even though I have tried several masks, the mask seems to keep cutting into my face and it appears to be leaving permanent lines. My face is growing into the mask. To make matters worse, the lines are not even symmetrical, so my face seems to be getting distorted.

I need the full face mask, because I am told that I am a "mouth breather."

Will these alterations to my face become permanent? Or, might they be already? I am 52 years old and I've been using the device since the end of May this year.

What can I do to fix this other than to stop using the bipap machine?

I know that to some this may seem trivial to some. But, I really don't want to become disfigured if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

miamirn1 responded:
I have used a mask for about three years, now. In the beginning the mask did leave an indentation on both sides of my face. It made my face look like I was a dog! Lol. The indentation seemed to be permanent, but after about three months it went away. I can only guess as to why it went away. I believe the fluid in my face redistributed back to normal. One thing. If I ate too much salt the indentation was worse. I can now use my mask without a problem. It only leaves a temporary indentation. It doesn't last more than an hour after I take the mask off, at best. Good luck!

joegumbo replied to miamirn1's response:
Hi miamirn1 ,

I am actually on a low-dose diuretic and I am VERY careful... almost obsessively so... about my salt intake.

However, I am losing weight.

I started wearing the mask back in May and it's now October, so I guess it's about 4-1/2 months. Unfortunately, my face does not seem to be returning to normal.

Thanks
-joegumbo

miamirn1 replied to joegumbo's response:
When I had this problem the first few months of using my mask I remember having more problems when I had fluid retention. It makes sense that this would happen, doesn't. It? I have an idea, I don't know whether you have tried this type of mask before. It's a gel mask. I want to try it myself. I'm going to order it this coming week. Not that I'm dissatisfied with my mask, because I'm not. I just want to try something new and maybe improved

http://www.thecpapshop.com/respironics-comfortgel-blue-full-face-cpap-mask-with-headgear

joegumbo replied to miamirn1's response:
Hey miamirn1 ,

Thanks for the link

It looks comfortable. But, the masks I already have are very soft around the seal. Please post back if you like your new mask or find that it spreads out the pressure more where it contacts your face.

Thanks,
-Joe

joegumbo replied to joegumbo's response:
I "think" I solved it. I did some more Googling and came across this site: Basically, they make liners that go between the mask and your face.

Well, I didn't feel like waiting to place an order. So, I took a Bounty paper towel sheet, folded it into fours, cut out a hole in the middle and Voila! I used it as a barrier between the mask and my face last night.

At first there was a bit of leakage. But, as the night wore on, the mask - paper towel combo seated itself better. This AM, no deep marks. And, even the marks that are there faded slightly.

It's a cheap thing to try. If someone else is having this problem, perhaps this approach can help. If not, you've only lost a paper towel.

Good luck

pattiyan responded:
Hello JOe
I was diagnosed with OSA in 1997 but I have had the symptoms since a child, and am a mouth breather,
Over the years I have been given different masks plus an updated machine (which is smaller but heavie)r,so I can't take it with me when I am away from home.
Like you, my machine cuts into my face and leaves marks. After use I still have the marks/lines for several hours. I have tried altering the strapping and attachments but it makes no difference.
I do sleep better with it, but only sleep for 7 hours at the most.
Another thing I have noticed is that the usuage register doesn't give a full reading. Sometimes it only adds 2 hours?
Do you think we should complain to the hospital,although they aren't the designers.I am with St.Thomas' in London. What about you?
Sorry I don't have an answer.

Saraluvsjava responded:
I have been using mine for 5 yrs - I found that making sure the straps are not tight - get the mask in the right spot then gently secure the velcro straps - the mask will stay on and in place -you want to have it sitting on face not mashed in - hope this is helpful

knowing responded:
Yes, sleeping with a mask or even sleeping on your face on a pillow, or even on your side, will create permanent lines on your face. Unfortunately, as one ages the skin loses its elasticity and is prone to lines, which over time do not go away a.k.a wrinkles. You will probably notice that the lines will lighten up as the day goes by, but eventually, the lines will remain. Ideally, sleeping on ones back without anything pressing on your face is best for the skin - it may not be best for breathing however. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center