Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nose and Mouth Shut while Sleeping = Brain Cell Damage?
dlively452 posted:
Every night, I sleep fine but I do notice that my mouth and my nose is 'shut' or not getting oxygen in the morning when I wake up. This started to happen I believe 4 or 5 months ago. I do forcibly take several amounts of deep breath after noticing that in the morning just as a safety precaution. I did notice that every night before going to sleep, my nose is free and not clogged up but in the morning it is fully clogged that not much oxygen can go through (having to blow my nose every morning) and I perhaps trained to close my mouth couple months back because of the dislike in the smell and dry mouth taste. I tried to train my mouth to be open while sleeping but in the morning it reverts back. I don't have shortness of breath or like a immediate grasp of air kind of thing at all nor waking up in the middle of night grasping for air; I sleep fine (also I don't snore ever and had a family member confirm this). I am worried about if it is killing my brain cells because of this. Is there a way to regain brain cells? I heard there is a process called neurogenesis or Myelination or taking alot of Vitamin B1. And is there a 'proven-medical' way to test out if my brain cells been damaged? This might sound far-fetched, but if you don't have proper breathing, does it bloat your face? (I.e. cheeks)...

But I do experience this:
-Short-term memory loss (couldn't remember a quote from a movie couple days ago)
-Morning headaches
-Lack of Energy; tiredness

But I don't know if these experiences are coming from how I am breathing at night or it could be some other things that is attributing to this.

MA64NANA responded:
Not sure if it relates to you, but I discovered I have a "deviated septum", basically one nostril has collapsed. I have been saying for years that I am not getting "enough air".

They discovered this when I had my sleep apnea test. Also, I do stop breathing. I did breathe thru my mouth and wake with dry cotton mouth.

I always had the symptoms you mention with the short term memory loss, morning headaches, lack of energy, and total exhaustion.

I have found out that I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, fibromyalgia, disc problems in my back, and some problem with my left temporal lobe that causes these "seizures" which make me "lose time" and causes the memory loss and feelings of loss of control of my life.

LOVE my CPap machine and getting more air during the night; sometimes, I even wear it during the day as I sit in my bed and read or watch tv.

Seldom get those headaches anymore, but my doc put me on potassium .......he did a blood test and found out I was deficient and that caused the headaches. Who would have thought of that?

I use B12 sublingual tablets and also now take amino acid liquid every day. Because of my heart problems, I cannot use caffeine anymore. For the aching joints, I use glucosamine chondroitin which I have found is better than a pain pill. Once in awhile, I do take a muscle relaxer before sleep when my body seems all "tightened" up.

I go to pogo and do all kinds of puzzle and other gains to work on my memory. It seems to help some. I write everything down and try not to have to depend on my memory, which fails me.

I have a caregiver who keeps me on track for meds, appt's, but I still struggle with paying bills on time. I do that online and have receipts sent to my email so I know when I am due or when payments are made.

Sometimes, we just have to readjust to things changing. I am in my late 60's, but act like 80's. lol. It is a struggle just to get to the bathroom, and don't get out much either.
I am no longer allowed to cook without supervision or go anywhere by myself as I have gotten lost.

I just remind myself that the Lord knows where I am and what is going on...He does not leave me alone and is in charge. I am thankful for His love and faithfulness, his Mercy is new every morning.

dlively452 replied to MA64NANA's response:
That is very unfortunate to hear MA64NANA...I know for sure that the Lord knows the health complications that you are going through and is doing everything he can to make your life comfortable, I'll pray for your speedy recovery!

As for this symptom, it seems to disappear but don't know if its been gone completely yet; if it does come again, I'll just head to a physician.

Helpful Tips

Get a ZEO
I went to a sleep center & did 2 sleep studies. They diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I purchased a ZEO (at home PSG sleep monitor) and ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 17 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center