Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
chest pain upon awakening
woodland63 posted:
I have a terrible time staying asleep most likely due to chronic back, neck and hip pain. I am very aware of every move I make during the night and just long for a full night's sleep without disturbances. Early in the morning I start dreaming and it's almost as though I am awake and because I don't want to get up that early ( usually hours before the sun comes up), I fight it. But I get chest pain and sometimes its very bad and a strong feeling of dread or panic. It stays with me for long after I get up. I battled depression for years along with Fibromyalgia. I have severe pain in my neck that causes shoulder pain and pain and weakness down to my elbow. An MRI shows a bulging disc, C5-6, but the medical profession doesn't seem to care much about it. I had a bad whiplash in a car accident at age 20 and have had chronic back and neck problems ever since. I had injections in my SI joint recently. I'm on medication for A-Fib and GERD.
Don't know what to do anymore!

dfromspencer responded:
Wow, sorry to hear about this, and so late! I don't even know if you still seek answers or not? But, here goes... I have chronic pain from nerve damage, i never get a good nights sleep till i am so very tired. I take 700mg.s of morphine a day, three of those 100mg tabs at bedtime. Plus my P.C.P. has me taking Ambien for sleep, it helps me to fall asleep, but not to stay asleep. The best thing i have found that helps me sleep longer, and better, is exersise. The more i can do during my day, the better my sleep. I still never sleep through the night, i always wake up often, but its better than nothing.

If you can, and ask your doctor first, try an exersise program of some sort, and stay as active as possible during the day.

I hope this helps? Good luck!!!

Dennis

woodland63 replied to dfromspencer's response:
I'd like to exercise but my left hip and right knee are so painful. Then to top it off I slipped in the water in the driveway and injured the muscles and tendons from the same area and down to my knee. And I had just had cortisone injections a couple months ago. I really feel I need something more than P.T. for my neck. The burning pain down my arm is too much anymore.
Ambien is terrible for me as I still wake up in the middle of the night and it gives me bad dreams. I'm going to start going to a pool and try to get some exercise there. Thanks for your response.

dfromspencer replied to woodland63's response:
Hi, again

Oh yes, I know about that burning pain!!! I've had it in my right arm for a long time now. Came from a buldging disk. My neck still hurts, and my lower back is bad, also. My my, aren't we a pair! LOL! Sorry, not making fun of your pain. This burning pain is nothing to laugh at, to be sure!!!

I hope you can find some relief from something, and I hope this pool helps!!!

Good luck!!!

Dennis

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center