Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sleep Problems
Doug1000 posted:
My problem is that I can sleep good for the first 3 or 4 hours of the night but after that I wake up every hour afterwards. I've had a sleep study done and was told that I have sleep apnea and was put on a cpap machine. I've used the machine for over a year and it doesnt help my problem. I've tried different over the counter sleep medications but nothing seems to work. Any ideas. I'm a 53 year old male.

MA64NANA responded:
You may need to have a second sleep test done. They can adjust your CPAP for more air....or go to a BiPAP if necessary. Please contact your lung doctor or other doc to get another check done and tell them what is going on with you. I used to sleep only for 2 hours at a time and never getting into rem sleep; I was exhausted all the time. This is very serious......and I really hope u will get more testing done and get help....right away!! I did use tylenol pm's and still do just not often anymore. I have also used my muscle relaxer when I am very "tight" with back pain. Once in awhile I will use an anxiety meds before sleep if necessary, but don't need anything most of the time now. I can actually tell myself, "it is time to sleep now" and just put my mask on and lay down......and actually sleep pretty good .....and usually for the whole night.........hate to wake up sometimes because I breathe so much better with the CPAP on.

Helpful Tips

Narcolepsy and nutrition
Hi all, I am a narcoleptic and also I have sleep apnea. I recently joined a program called optifast to lose weight, it is a program that is ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center