Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I got a generic substitute for my generic substitute for Provigil!
tlcfromsd posted:
Although there was another disscussion started about prescription drug Provigil, I felt that I had to start a seperate discussion because I've been all over the place on the internet trying to find out if Adderall is EXACTLY THE SAME THING as Provigil. This is what my doctor prescribed for me when I asked him to prescribe the generic equivalent for Provigil due to the fact that my insurance from my job will charge me an arm and a leg for most name brand meds like Provigil but whenever I order the generic equivalent of any medicine I can get a 3 month supply for only $12.50. Anyway, I've heard of modafinil as being another name for Provigil, but I was somewhat concerned when my doctor ordered Adderall as a substitute for it. I used to get 200 mg tablets of the Provigil and what I received from Medco wasn't even called Adderall! The bottle says that "a generic substitution has been made for adderall tabs" and I'm not even sure it says the name of the drug they actually sent! The bottle says "Amphetamine Mix Tabs 20mg". I'm very worried that when I start taking these pills that I'm going to have heart palpatations and be all nervous and shaky like I used to get from taking Vivarin before I got diagnosed with Shift Work Sleep Disorder. After the diagnosis my doctor prescribed Provigil and I've been on it ever since (about 5 years ago) and its been working fairly well as long as I make a conscious effort to keep regular sleep hours and don't allow myself too many late nights. Even when I was going through a period of unemployment I was able to get Provigil thru the Patient Assistance Program for free. Since I went back to work my insurance dictates that I'll have to pay 80% of the cost for name brand medications. I can't afford that for most of my medications are pretty costly. I asked for a "generic equivalent" to Provigil and I'm not 100% sure that means the same as "generic substitute" at all! Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is Adderall actually a generic "equivalent" for Provigil? If so, then why would Medco send me a "generic substitute" for it?

Helpful Tips

take meds at the same time each day and don't eat after 7 pm
Hello. My prayers are with you. I have had RA for over 24 years, and dealing with pain and sleeplessness is sometimes a big challenge. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Sleep Disorders Center